Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system implementation is a complex process that involves a combination of technological and organizational interactions. In order to deliver SAP ERP systems implementation on time, according to specifications and within budget the SAP company introduced a new methodology called SAP Activate (that replaced ASAP – used in on-premise and SAP Launch – used in cloud solutions implementation). Based on years of ERP implementation experience the SAP Activate uses a comprehensive, proprietary set of analytical tools and guidelines to drive completion of ERP project milestones, deliverables and results.
Bellow there are listed key points and recommendations that summarize this methodology:
- Always start with the best practice. This is applicable for both on-premise or cloud implementations and highlighting the importance of project jump start with SAP best practice processes from the beginning with extensive use of predefined sandbox systems.
- Involve customer from the beginning. Customer should get familiar with SAP best practice processes in order to leverage the standard as much as possible.
- No more blueprint document. Instead of blueprint – fit/gap (on-premise) or fit-to-standard (cloud) workshops using SAP sandbox and challenging each change from the standard.
- Working solution – first. The main focus on the quality of the solution that makes customer happy, leaving documentation aside.
- Iterative build with short milestones. Iterative solution build enables periodical review, with the option to adjust requirements on the subsequent iterations.
- Introduction of new project roles. As part of Agile project delivery mindset a new roles (Product owner and Scrum master) and structure have been introduced facilitating solution build.
- Accelerated build and ROI/TCO. Running the project based on Activate, SAP is stating that cloud solution can go-live in less than 25 weeks’ time dramatically reducing implementation cost.
- Smaller dependency on SAP integrators. Basic SAP implementation doesn’t require extensive technical knowledge, especially – cloud solution with the introduction of guided configuration tools.
- SAP Activate covers all type of SAP projects. The SAP Activate is applicable not only for new implementations but also for system conversion or landscape transformation projects. Moreover – this methodology is focusing on Agile but applicable also for Waterfall implementations.
- Additional source of information for SAP ecosystem. The SAP is striving to provide more user friendly, dynamic and receptive solution (S/4 HANA, FIORI etc.) leveraging knowledge of SAP business community. With SAP Activate, the SAP company has introduced SAP JAM website that allows not only to access a lot of SAP Activate related resources but also to share your personal findings with other members of SAP community.
The SAP Activate methodology is devoted for SAP ERP implementation project managers and team members responsible for setting and completing project deliverables and key milestones, tracking project progress or communicating it to the client. It helps to structure project deliverables, increase the whole work efficiency leveraging the best SAP tools and templates.
These notes were written after passing an official SAP Activate certification exam. They are based on personal opinion and cannot be associated with any company that I am working on or representing,