SAP HANA Smart Data Integrator on SAP HANA, express edition (HXE)
We’re very pleased to announce that SAP HANA, express edition (HXE) now includes SAP HANA smart data integration, which provides the ability to integrate data from a variety of different data sources.
High level architecture
Any data integration must procure data and output data or information. To address the procurement and output of data there are components that need to play in harmony. Primary components of SAP HANA Smart Data Integration are:
- Data Provisioning Agent*
- Data Provisioning Server
- HANA_IM_DP_DU (Deployed on SAP HANA XSC**)
* Previously installed DP Agent should be un-installed or use a different host.
**SAP HANA extended application services, classic model
Connecting to data sources
SAP HANA smart data integration includes a set of adapters for a wide variety of different data sources (for example SAP systems, databases, files, social media, and so on) Please have a look at the SAP HANA smart data integration Product Availability Matrix (PAM***) for more details on supported adapters and their functional overview.
Some of the common and frequently used connectors are:
- SAP ASE
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Oracle Database
- SAP ECC and SAP BW
SAP HANA smart data integration also has an adapter SDK that allows customers and partners to build custom adapters to other data sources. Please have a look at the Adapter SDK Guide for more details.
*** You will need a valid SAP user id (aka S-ID) to access PAM
Query data from external data sources via the SAP HANA SQL interface, regardless of its physical location (for example, on your laptop, in your corporate network, in the cloud, and so on), how it’s stored (for example, in a database, a file, and so on) or how it needs to be accessed (for example, JDBC, ODBC, OData, REST, and so on)
- Replicate data from a variety of data sources into SAP HANA.
- Perform a one-time data load or an initial load with subsequent real time replication of changes.
- Replicate a table as-is or modify the target structure by adding or removing columns.
- Change the value of any column by using SAP HANA SQL functions.
- Reduce the number of records to be replicated by applying filters.
Extract, Transform, and Load Data
Extract data from a variety of data sources, transform it using one of the many available data integration nodes (for example, Case, Join, History Preserving, Table Comparison, and so on) and load it into SAP HANA. You can perform a one-time data load, an initial load with subsequent periodic delta loads, or an initial load with subsequent real time replication of changes.
Monitoring & Operations
Registering Data Provisioning Agents and Data Provisioning Adapters is possible through a graphical user interface. Interactive execution and scheduling of Flowgraph and Replication Task is provided, followed by the monitoring of such tasks. The capability extends to batch as well as real-time tasks. Email alerts on task failure is also a part of the solution and helps prototype operational governance before rolling out to the enterprise platform.
Design time tools
Design time tools for building data integration scenarios are available in the SAP HANA Web Based Development Workbench. The ‘Editor’ option within the Development Workbench has two primary utilities for SDI
- The Replication Task editor allows you to build Replication Tasks to replicate data from an external system into SAP HANA, as an initial load or with real time replication.
- The Flowgraph editor allows you to design partition based data transformation logic including data cleansing and enrichment. There are additional functionalities of the flowgraph that are documented in the product documentation
Try it Out
If you’re interested in taking it for a test spin, the easiest way to get started is to follow this link. which takes you through the steps of installation and configuration of SAP HANA Smart Data Integrator
There’s lots of material available to help you build your data integration scenarios:
- Visit the SAP HANA, express edition developer page
- Getting started guide, chapter 7: install and configure the SAP HANA smart data integration components. A tutorial to build your first data integration project is in the making and will be released soon.
- The SAP HANA smart data integration & smart data quality playlist in the SAP HANA Academy YouTube channel
- The complete SAP HANA smart data integration documentation, which includes guides for installation & configuration, administration, modeling, etc…