In SAP ERP the media product hierarchy is shipped as part of the Media business function set (“IS-Media”) and does not provide any flexibility regarding the number of hierarchy levels.
In SAP S/4HANA the media product hierarchy can be configured based on the generic concept for the Classification Based Product Hierarchy. This allows you to define the number of hierarchy levels and in addition provides the possibility to define more than one hierarchy type – if required.
In this concept the hierarchy level is defined by the class assigned to the product master and the product number of the parent product is stored in a characteristic which is assigned to the class. This requires that during the configuration phase you define in an IMG activity the class and characteristic used for each of the hierarchy levels.
In this blog you will see, as an example, how to define a hierarchy type with three levels similar to the media product hierarchy in SAP ERP. In the table below you will see the required classes and characteristics and how they are assigned to the hierarchy levels:
There are 3 steps involved in the configuration of a hierachy type:
- Create Characteristics
Create characteristics for the product number of the parent product
- Create Classes
Create a class for each hierarchy level and assign the characteristic
- Configure Hierarchy Type
Define the hierachy type and assign the classes and characteristics to the hierarchy levels
Step 1: Create Characteristics
In a first step, you create the required characteristics MEDIAPRODUCTFAMILY and MEDIAPRODUCT.
- Call transaction CT04, enter the name of the characteristic (MEDIAPRODUCTFAMILY or MEDIAPRODUCT) and click on Create.
- On tab Basic data enter the description for the characteristic, Character Format as Data Type and 40 as Number of chars. Do not select the Case Sensitive flag.
Hint: If your S/4HANA system is in compatibility mode (see SAP note 2232396), you are not allowed to create characteristics with more than 30 characters. In this case you can use 18 characters, since the material number will be limited to 18 characters.
- On tab Values click on Other Value Check, select Function Module and enter Function HPC_CHARACT_CHECK.
- Save the characteristic.
Step 2: Create Classes
Next, you need to create three classes, one per hierarchy level.
- Call transaction CL02, enter the name of the class (MEDIA_PR_FAMILY, MEDIA_PRODUCT or MEDIA_ISSUE), class type 001 and click on Create.
- On tab Basic data enter the description for the class.
- On tab Char. enter the characteristic MEDIAPRODUCTFAMILY for class MEDIA_PRODUCT and the characteristic MEDIAPRODUCT for class MEDIA_ISSUE. For class MEDIA_PR_FAMILY you do not enter any characteristic.
- Save the class.
Step 3: Configure Hierarchy Type
You will now use these classes and characteristics to define the hierarchy type for the media product hierarchy.
- Go to IMG activity Define Product Master Hierarchy Type (Logistics – General → Material Master → Product Master Hierarchy → Define Product Master Hierarchy Type)
- Click on New Entries. Enter a key for the Hierarchy Type, for example ZMPM, enter Media Product Hierarchy as the description in the second column, select Classification as the Technology and enter 194 as the BO Type.
- Click on New Entries.
- Enter for each hierarchy level the level, class and characteristic (see table above). Enter class type 001 for all entries.
- Save your settings.
After you have finalized these configuration steps you can create a media product hierarchy using the Product Master app.
To create the root node of a hierarchy (media product family) you have to assign the class manually or use a specific product type as explained in Create Product Types for each Hierarchy Level.