with this Blog, i will let you understand step by step process of migrating 3.x to 7.x dataflow.
Introduction to RSMIGRATE:
In SAP BW 7.3, we have a new wizard to migrate entire data flow from 3.X to 7.X. The t-code to access this wizard is RSMIGRATE.
Prior to BW 7.3 we have to migrate each object separately.
In 7.3 we can migrate entire dataflow to 7.0; the wizard also modifies the process chain to 7.0 flows. (i.e., it adds the DTPs automatically to the process chain).
There is a new migration project concept where we can group all the data flows into different projects and carry out the migration once for each project. If there are issues during migration we can revert to 3.X flow by executing recovery for that particular project.
Master Data Migration Steps:
Follow the below steps in order to migrate 3.x master data flows to 7.x flows:
As an example, we are migrating master data flow for 0CUSTOMER.
1. Create the Migration project in RSMIGRATE t-code. Give the migration project name and click on “Create” button
2. From the below screen click on the “Add flow” icon to add the relevant data flow you want to migrate
In our case, since we are migrating the 0CUSTOMER data flow, we will select “3.x DataSource” option among the object types and add the data sources (attributes/text/hierarchy) in the “Object name” field one by one as shown in. And click on OK button.
We will get the output as below:
Similar to this add the data flow for text Data Source 0CUSTOMER_TEXT
NOTE: We can add multiple data flows in a single migration project, but it’s advisable to add only those flows in same migration project which have common data flows.
3. After adding all the data sources, select the objects from the flow which are to be migrated from 3.x to 7.x and click on Save button:
4. Once saved, you will see that the “Migration/Recovery” option is enabled. Now click on “Migration/Recovery” option. This will display all the 7 steps to be executed in order to complete the migration process
Initially select the first 5 steps to do migration of the 3.x data flows.
- If the last 2 options would also be selected then it will obsolete older 3.x flows as well and we will not be able to check the consistency of the newly created 7.x flows with 3.x flows.
- At step 4 of migration, the process chains (if exists) will also be adjusted according to 7.x flow. But it is recommended to follow migrate and transport of process chains only if they are consistent in all the three landscapes (D/Q/P).
5.Next, click on “Migrate/Recover” button and proceed.
6.This will prompt for a workbench request.
Enter the relevant Transport request if created or create the new TR and capture the objects in it.
We see that all the selected objects have been migrated successfully till step 5. You can all check the migration log by clicking on “Display Log”.
7. The 3.x and 7.x flows can now be seen separately in RSMIGRATE
8.After confirming the consistency of both the flows, proceed with migration till step 7.
9. This will complete the migration of master data flow, since you have executed STEP 6 and Step 7 now, you wont be able to see the old 3.x Data flows, this can check in RSA1, for that dataflow.
NOTE: The new transformations and DTPs will NOT get lock in the Transport request, so you need to lock them manually using Transport connection from RSA1. (By Default, it will get locked in the $TMP package)
I will be in continuation in my next blog for Transactional data migration