Remote Conversion of standard model to SAP BPC 11.0, version for SAP BW/4HANA
Among numbers of BPC 11.0 customers, quite some of them are already using BPC 10.0 or 10.1 NW(or even older releases of BPC NW) for their planning or consolidation process. It’s fairly important to understand how to migrate and convert existing customer BPC data into our new BPC product on new BW/4HANA platform.
What is conversion
- Convert from NetWeaver platform to BW/4HANA platform
- Convert old BW objects to BW/HANA complaint objects
- Info-cube -> aDSOs
- DSOs -> aDSOs
- Multi-provider -> Composite Providers
- BPC data migration
Remote Conversion & In-Place Conversion
Remote conversion means conversion of BPC data from one source system (i.e. BPC 10.1 NW) to target system(i.e. BPC 11.0 )
- Almost no downtime for source system
- No risk of potential data lost
- Easy to compare data after conversion
- Extra cost to setup a whole new system (hardware & software) from scratch
In-Place Conversion means conversion of BPC data directly in the same system and upgrade the system to BPC 11.0 and BW/4HANA.
- No extra IT investment (of purchasing new hardware)
- No big data moving between systems
- Downtime needed, very much depending on data size
Remote conversion for BPC standard
With BPC 11.0 SP01( released by end of July, 2017), we are now able to do remote conversion for BPC standard model( BPC 10.0 NW and BPC 10.1 NW standard).
Remote conversion of standard is done through the well known ‘Backup & Restore Tool’ of BPC, the steps is very simple:
- Backup an environment from BPC 10.x NW system
- Restore the environment into BPC 11.0 system.
- Source BPC 10.x NW system can be either HANA or non-HANA. After restore, environment will be HANA optimized automatically.
- Before restore environment into BPC 11.0, please install the system properly and complete all the post-installation steps according to installation guide.
- To void potential error, please also make sure the system level settings ( IMG setting through tcode SPRO) shall be identical between BPC 11.0 and your BPC 10.x NW source system. All users exist in your source system shall be created in BW/4HAHNA system as well.
- Restored environment is ready to use, no more action needed.
- UJBR only take care of BPC related data at environment level, custom created objects need to be moved to new BPC 11.0 system manually, including:
- Info-providers used as BPC data source
- Custom process chain
- BAdI implementations
- For more information, please refer to note 2510414 or Conversion Guide
- SAP BPC 7.5 NW customers need to first upgrade to BPC 10.1 NW.
What come next
In-Place Conversion for both BPC standard and embedded is planned for the following BPC 11.0 support packages. Please stay tuned for upcoming blogs.