What’s New in SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP Digital Boardroom Release 2017.17
This blog covers some of the latest new features and enhancements in SAP Analytics Cloud* and SAP Digital Boardroom release 2017.17. Please note that the Analytics Cloud Help documentation is updated at the same time as the upgrade to this release, so the links here may not yet reflect what is described below until after the upgrade is complete.
SAP Analytics Cloud agent version required for data acquisition with this release:
- Version 1.0.69 for SAP BusinessObjects Universes (UNX)
- Version 1.0.63 for the “export models to a file-server location” feature
- Version 1.0.59 for SAP Business Warehouse (BW)
- Version 1.0.57 for SAP ERP / SQL databases
- Version 1.0.51 for all other data source types
- Note: Although it is not required, you can upgrade to the new agent version 1.0.73, no matter what data acquisition type you use. Do this to take advantage of updates made to SAP Analytics Cloud agent.
For more information, see System Requirements and Technical Prerequisites.
Highlights of this release:
- Introduction of two APIs to access and embed story content
- Create navigation links in the digital boardroom builder
- Change the description of a dimension
- Auto-create VDT from a model
- Use PoV for populating facts in a private version
- Create input tasks using other dimensions
- Advanced planning operations for input forms
- Support for remote live connections via SAML SSO with the use of x.509
- Enhanced boardroom support in mobile
- Auto-complete for available R functions
- Smarts Insights in Explorer, Digital Boardroom and story view mode
- Asynchronous data acquisition: Data imports in the background
- Schedule model refresh more than 1x/day
- Enhanced formatting options based on widget interaction
- Rounded widget borders
- Nesting multiple combinations for calculations
- Display chart types when saving a story
- Improved drilling experience with charts
- Modify variable parameters in embedded mode
- User profiles pulled from SAP Cloud ID
- Admins can update email addresses
- SAML SSO certificate expiry notifications
- Live data connections to SAP S/4HANA via HTTP server with SSO
- Live data connections to SAP HANA 2.0 with SSO for Path and CORS connection types
Learn with our latest video tutorials：
- Create a predictive time-series forecast for planning data
- Add a predictive forecast to a trend time series chart
- Import master data into a public dimension
- Full tutorial playlist >
Introduction of two APIs to access and embed story content
In this release, SAP Analytics Cloud offers two APIs for external application access, including URL API and REST API.
URL API enables users to embed a story into an existing application with various options for navigation:
- Set URL Mode (i.e. Edit, Present, Embed or View)
- Show or Hide the Page Bar (Embed Mode Only)
- Set the Story Page Number
Please note that you need to both enable the embedding inside an iframe setting through the tenant administration and allow third-party cookies in your browser.
REST API is best used for users who are requesting a small amount of data in real time. Connect REST API allows customers and partners to access system data in SAP Analytics Cloud using representational state transfer (REST) web services. For accessing this API endpoint from a third-party application, such as a web browser or a mobile app, OAuth authentication is required.
Create navigation links in the digital boardroom builder
Navigation links from individual story tiles can now be created directly in the digital boardroom builder.
Change the description of a dimension
As a user, sometimes you may get confused if you have a large number of dimensions and measures in your model. For live data models, you can now customize the description of a dimension in the dimension settings dialog. This will help you remember what your dimensions mean, and you can easily view the descriptions in the following places:
- Chart/Table dimension selector
- Filter/Input control dimension selector
- Explorer dimension configuration for boardroom
- Dimension linking dialog
Auto-create VDT from a model
In this release, we’ve made it easier for you to explore the relationship between drivers – when creating a value driver tree, you can now select Auto-Complete to add multiple data source nodes to the canvas from the model’s account structure.
The nodes are organized to show dependencies between the accounts, including calculation dependencies and hierarchical relationships.
Use PoV for populating facts in a private version
In previous releases, every private version takes a complete copy of its respective public version which would take up an amount of time and space. In this release, we’ve added a new option – Apply Current Filter. You can now use the point of view of the current table to populate a new private version. This feature will help you focus the content with an optimized performance!
Create input tasks using other dimensions
As an input task creator, you can now create input tasks using a (generic) dimension other than the organization dimension. After selecting Enable Responsibility in the dimension preferences dialog, you can use a new Person Responsible column for assigning input tasks to your colleagues.
Advanced planning operations for input forms
You can now use advanced planning operations in your input form, such as spreading and cell locking.
Support for remote live connections via SAML SSO with the use of x.509
The mobile app now supports login to SAP Analytics Cloud and remote live connection with SSO using X.509.
Enhanced boardroom support in mobile
In this release, we’re pleased to bring you several new enhancements for boardroom support in the Analytics Cloud mobile app:
- A brand new navigation panel
- Emphasize story page name in title bar
- A brand new page indicator to show # of pages in a topic
- A transition page between topics
- Full-screen support for chart interaction in iPhone
Auto-complete for available R functions
We’ve added a new level of flexibility for R integration. When using the R script editor, you can now use the auto-complete feature to view a list of all available functions and variables in the installed packages of your connected R environment.
- Learn how to connect to an R environment.
- Learn how to use R in SAP Analytics Cloud
- Learn how to add an R visualization to a story (video tutorial)
Smarts Insights in Explorer, Digital Boardroom and story view mode
In release 2017.09, we introduced Smart Insights that are designed to automatically generate textual and visual “explanation” for a selected data point. In this release, this handy tool is now available in the Explorer, Digital Boardroom, and story view mode!
Asynchronous data acquisition: Data imports in the background
When you import data from Google BigQuery or SuccessFactors into a new or existing model, the data acquisition will happen in the background while you work on something else.
When the data import completes, a message will indicate that the data was imported successfully. You can build your model then or leave it for later. Please note that the imported data expires seven days after the import.
Schedule model refresh more than 1x/day
You can now schedule data imports and model updates as often as every four hours. As a user, you can set up the start time for scheduling model refresh.
- Learn how to schedule a data import (video tutorial)
Data Analysis, Stories, and Tables
Enhanced formatting options based on widget interaction
In this release, we’ve made several enhancements for formatting options on charts and tables. Widgets are highlighted with different colors to indicate whether you are in styling (orange) or builder (blue) mode. In addition, when you select any content within the canvas page, it is clearly indicated what the styling options are being shown for. As you interact with your chart, the styling options will be filtered down.
Rounded widget borders
You can now set the widget border corner radius via the styling panel or story preferences dialog. Please note that border-radius is only visible when the border is set to All Borders. As is shown below, borders are not currently supported for mobile devices.
Nesting multiple combinations for calculations
You can now nest different combinations of calculations together. For example, you can create a
Difference From the calculated measure and then restrict it further or create an average calculation on it. There are several supported measures:
- CM: Calculated measure
- SRM: Simple restricted measure (i.e. non-dynamic time)
- DRM: Dynamic redistricted measure
- SDF: Static difference from (i.e. non-dynamic time)
- DDF: Dynamic time difference from
- EX: Exception aggregation
Please note that there are some limitations to the results of these calculations:
- EX – SRM & EX – SDF: Similar behavior as modeler nested formulas.
- EX – EX: Average of a non-sum aggregated measure will display incorrect data.
Display chart types when saving a story
You can now see the chart type that was used when saving a story as a template. When turning the chart placeholder into a chart, the original chart type will be automatically selected. Please note that widget specific formatting is removed.
- Learn how to save a story as a template (video tutorial)
Improved drilling experience with charts
You can now see and choose from dimension names when drilling down or up, and you can also reset the drill option. Moreover, the drill button is disabled when you are not able to drill up or down.
Modify variable parameters in embedded mode
You can now change the variables on a per chart or model basis in embedded mode.
User profiles pulled from SAP Cloud ID
If a user was created in SAP Cloud ID, that user’s profile information in SAP Analytics Cloud will now be pulled from SAP Cloud ID.
Admins can update email addresses
Administrators can now update user’s email addresses. If a user has not yet logged onto SAP Analytics Cloud, a note to indicate this will appear in the user’s list.
SAML SSO certificate expiry notifications
If you use SAML SSO you will now be notified when your certificate is close to expiry, and you can renew certificates in the System>Administration>Security area tab.
Live data connections to SAP S/4HANA via HTTP server with SSO
As an administrator, you can now configure a live data connection to on-premise S/4HANA with SSO using Apache as your reverse proxy.
Live data connections to SAP HANA 2.0 with SSO for Path and CORS connection types
SAP HANA 2.0 is now supported by live data connections.
- Video tutorials
- Events and recordings
- SAP Analytics Cloud help resources
- Official roadmap contains more info on future plans, subject to change.
Previous feature summary blogs:
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.16
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.15
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.14
- More >
*SAP Analytics Cloud was previously known as SAP BusinessObjects Cloud
SAP has no obligation to pursue any course of business outlined in this blog or any related presentation, or to develop or release any functionality mentioned therein. This blog, or any related presentation and SAP’s possible future developments, products and or platforms directions and functionality are all subject to change and may be changed by SAP at anytime for any reason without notice. The information in this blog is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code, or functionality. This blog is provided without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. This blog is for informational purposes and may not be incorporated into a contract. SAP assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in this document, except if such damages were caused by SAP’s willful misconduct or gross negligence.
All forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.