Products can be part of a hierarchical relationship, such as product families, product groups and products. Product relevant hierarchies are based on hierarchies defined in customizing. Hierarchies serve to depict hierarchical relationships between the master data objects of an object type.
Customizing settings for Product Master Hierarchy
In the Customizing, we define the hierarchy type for business objects. For defining Product Master Hierarchy Type, we use classification data. The hierarchy type for Product Master using Classifications is supported. The path contains classes and characteristics.
Each level in the hierarchy is identified with a class as you can see in the Customizing.
The first level of all the class has one characteristic and gets its characteristic value from the product of the superior level. If we create a sub-node, the characteristic value is set automatically for the parent product. Hence the levels are identified by the class, the parent Product is identified by the characteristic value. If automatically maintained parent value is removed the current product will not be part of hierarchy structure and will be standalone of its hierarchy type.
Defining Product Master Hierarchy Type
- In SPRO transaction and choose SAP Reference IMG.
- In Logistics – General and choose find Material Master and say Define Product Master Hierarchy Type in the structure:
- Next screen will have hierarchy typesNew hierarchy type can be define by choosing Technology as classfication and BO Type as 194 for material.
- To see the hierarchy level choose one hierarchy type and select hierarchy level
For each Hierarchy level, Class Type, Class, and Characteristic Name is used to define the hierarchy-parent relationship. For Level1 do not enter any Characteristic Name as there is no parent for a root node. For other levels, enter a Class and the Characteristic Name that is defined under the class to point to the parent product.
- To maintain classes (create, edit or display), use CL01/02/03 transaction:
Creating Product with hierarchy in the Fiori Application
- Create a product in Product Master Application
- Assign root level classification and save the product.
- Choose Show in Hierarchy on the page as shown below
- Say create subnode in Manage Product Master Hierarchy Fiori Application to create a child and create a hierarchy of products.
- When you move to detail page of this product, the child level classification data would be already assigned.
The value is of its parent.
- Now let’s see the hierarchy structure
- More products with hierarchical relationship can be created as defined in the customizing.
- Hierarchy can also be assigned by directly going to Manage Product Master Hierarchy App, searching for a product and then creating its subnode using Product Master Application.