This blog covers some of the latest new features and enhancements in SAP Analytics Cloud* and SAP Digital Boardroom release 2017.15. Please note that the Analytics Cloud Help documentation is updated at the same time as the upgrade to this release, so the links here may not yet reflect what is described below until after the upgrade is complete.
SAP Analytics Cloud agent version required for data acquisition with this release:
- Version 1.0.63 for the “export models to a file-server location” feature
- Version 1.0.59 for SAP Business Warehouse (BW)
- Version 1.0.57 for SAP ERP / SQL databases
- Version 1.0.51 for all other data source types
- Note: Although it is not required, you can upgrade to the new agent version 1.0.69, no matter what data acquisition type you use. Do this to take advantage of updates made to SAP Analytics Cloud agent.
For more information, see System Requirements and Technical Prerequisites.
Highlights of this release:
- Smart Grouping in scatter plots and bubble charts
- Smart Insights with hierarchical dimensions
- Mobile support for live connections to HANA
- Use thresholds in heat map & tree map
- Apply multiple thresholds with filters to a measure
- Migrate KPIs to thresholds
- Tooltip information & chart via geo quick action menu
- Copy and paste story pages
- Value driver trees: Display unit and currency nodes
- Copy and paste across multiple restricted measures
- Mark assigned input tasks as complete
- Change the category of a private version
- Undo/Redo in the Version Management Panel
- Aggregation functions in the calculation dimension
- Input controls in forecast versions
- Forecast or rolling layouts for all version categories
Learn with our latest video tutorials
- Create a connection and import a model and data from SAP BW
- Create a connection and import a model and data from SAP BPC
- Create a planning model starting with a blank model
- Full tutorial playlist >
Scatter plots and bubble charts are a great way to see the relationship between values or compare multiple measure values. While that functionality is useful, we believe we can get even more insight using “smart” algorithms to help us see additional patterns or trends in our data.
You can now enable Smart Grouping in scatter plots and bubble charts to cluster similar data points into groups based on the defined measures and dimensions. You can also bring in tooltip measures to dynamically create different groups.
Smart Insights help you discover useful and potentially significant information about specific data points in your visualization on a Canvas or Responsive page.
In this release, Smart Insights now include the hierarchical dimensions that contribute to a selected data point.
- Learn how to use Smart Discovery and Smart Insights in a story (video tutorial)
The mobile iOS app now supports SAML authentication for live data source connections to SAP HANA (direct and SAP Cloud Platform connection types)
For full details on live data source connections with the mobile app, see the Feature Compatibility section of the Help page on Downloading and Installing the Mobile App.
Data Analysis, Stories, and Tables
In this release, we bring several enhancements for threshold support in Data Analysis and Stories.
You can now add thresholds to highlight information in tree maps and heat maps.
You can now create multiple thresholds on a single measure using a set of dimensions. It will help you to fully reflect the range of specific data values for each dimension.
Thresholds are displayed when there is an exact match with the data context. You can do that either by:
- Including the dimension in the visualization, or
- Creating a filter on the dimension (story, page, visualization)
- Learn how to create story-defined thresholds
- Learn how to set thresholds in a story (video tutorial)
- Learn how to define thresholds in models
In this release, you can migrate table KPIs to thresholds.
Please consider the following before you migrate your KPIs:
- Not all KPIs can be migrated, especially if conflicting ranges in the same data context have been defined in different tables. This is because thresholds have a story-wide scope.
- After migration, KPI alerts in system notifications will not be supported for thresholds.
- KPIs in tables that you pin to your home page and in the SAP Analytics Cloud mobile app won’t be migrated because they don’t have a story container. Be sure to save the story after upgrading.
- Thresholds on cross calculations are not supported (they were not supported in KPIs either).
We’ve also updated the threshold icon indicators with the option to change the color.
You can now use the quick action menu to add either a tooltip or a tooltip chart to a geo map. Supported layers like the bubble layer are visible in the newly expanded quick action menu.
Save time by copying an existing canvas, responsive, or grid page to a new or existing story. In the event of a conflict between model variables or lined dimensions, a pop-up dialog will allow you to choose either the new or existing model link.
Please note the following are not supported when you copy and paste:
- Calculation and measure input controls
- Chart scaling, conditional formatting (e.g. thresholds, assigned colors), and grid formatting rules
- Learn how to copy stories, pages and objects (video tutorial)
Ever want to see the unit and currency of nodes when you are exploring your data? You can now switch this setting on or off using the Show/Hide menu option.
- Learn how to add nodes to a value driver tree
- Learn how to create a value driver tree (video tutorial)
- Learn more about value driver trees
Good news – You can now copy and paste values to a target area that includes multiple restricted measures, as long as the restrictions do not overlap.
As an input task creator, there may be times when you need to close your input tasks before they are completed by assignees. You can now close your assignees’ processes by clicking the Complete button, which will mark all assigned tasks as finished. You also have the ability to go back and edit the private version in the input task.
When you create a private version, you can now change the category.
The Version Management panel now allows you to undo (or redo) changes such as entering multiple values in one session.
The aggregation functions (SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, MIN, MAX) are now available in the calculation dimension. This allows you to add functions that will affect all members of the account/measure dimension at once.
- Learn how to apply aggregation and exception aggregation setting in models (video tutorial)
- Learn how to create an aggregation calculation (video tutorial)
You can now use an input control for the forecast version or the cut-over date.
You can now use forecast or rolling forecast layouts for all version categories (except Actuals).
- Video tutorials
- Events and recordings
- SAP Analytics Cloud help resources
- Official roadmap contains more info on future plans, subject to change.
Previous feature summary blogs:
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.14
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.13
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.12
- More >
*SAP Analytics Cloud was previously known as SAP BusinessObjects Cloud
SAP has no obligation to pursue any course of business outlined in this blog or any related presentation, or to develop or release any functionality mentioned therein. This blog, or any related presentation and SAP’s possible future developments, products and or platforms directions and functionality are all subject to change and may be changed by SAP at any time for any reason without notice. The information in this blog is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code, or functionality. This blog is provided without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. This blog is for informational purposes and may not be incorporated into a contract. SAP assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in this document, except if such damages were caused by SAP’s willful misconduct or gross negligence.
All forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.