Working in product management for SAPUI5 I regularly receive questions from customers and partners on SAPUI5 versioning/maintenance plans. Even with the respective information already published, I would like to point out one event, which now occurs for the very first time: An SAPUI5 release goes out of maintenance. In this blog I would like to explain the situation and recommend follow-up activities in case you are affected.
SAPUI5’s maintenance strategy offers all customers & partners two ways to consume SAPUI5: On a frequent basis via the innovation versions and also via maintenance versions. SAP recommends to implement a maintenance version for stable productive systems to avoid disruptions and to benefit from an extended maintenance period. In order to receive SAP’s standard support it is required to update to a higher version once a version reaches its end of maintenance.
SAPUI5 1.28 in SAP NetWeaver UI Add-On 1.0 will reach its planned end of maintenance on 1. October 2017.
As most customers want to receive latest SAPUI5 innovations and at the same time ensure standard support, I recommend an upgrade of SAP NetWeaver UI Add-On:
- Minimum is SAPUI5 1.38 coming with SAP NetWeaver UI Add-On 2.0 / SAP_UI 7.50
- Recommendation is to upgrade to SAP NetWeaver 7.50 / SAP Fiori Frontend Server 2.0 and if possible to a higher release
- For Upgrade information see SAP Maintenance Planner and Software Update Manager (SUM). Before upgrade, please check the target release information and notes referenced in note 2217489, other Frontend Server Components and check if the installed SAP Fiori apps support the new target landscape.
Please see details on SAP’s Maintenance and Update Strategy for SAP UI (SAPUI5) in SAP Fiori Front-End Server and NW AS ABAP in note 217489.
Also see further details on the end of mainstream maintenance for UI Add-On 1.0 and SAP_UI 740 in note 2476416.
To explain the reasoning of SAP I would like to highlight the main aspects of SAPUI5’s versioning concept: The SAPUI5 maintenance strategy provides SAPUI5 innovations on a regular basis via innovation versions and also via maintenance versions. The benefits for customers and partners:
- This offers a stable environment for productive usage as well as latest innovations of SAPUI5
- Reduced cost and efforts for maintenance, less regression testing
- As a customer you have a predictable maintenance plan for your landscapes
- You may use a side-by-side deployment of maintenance and innovation stacks leverage early consumption of innovations without endangering a stable productive environment
- The maintenance version for SAP Fiori makes you less dependent on certain support packages
SAPUI5 Innovation Version
- Delivered on a regular basis to consume the latest innovations
- Providing SAP maintenance until the release of next SAPUI5 innovation version
- The last innovation version of an innovation cycle is a maintenance version
SAPUI5 Maintenance Version
- Standard SAP maintenance for a long period (approx. 2 years) after introducing innovations
- Delivering fixes for stable productive landscapes
- Implementation via support packages or via individual notes, having only a low SP as prerequisite
For details please see the respective SAPUI5 documentation.
So if you are using SAPUI5 1.28 in SAP NetWeaver UI Add-On 1.0, I would like to strongly recommend to take the required steps to upgrade your landscape.