This is the first of a set of posts about new features in the SAP HANA client interfaces. Following posts discuss the new python and Go drivers, but all of these assume you have the SAP HANA Client package installed on your computer, so this post is a reminder of how to do that.
Getting the SAP HANA Client package
SAP customers can get the SAP HANA Client package from the SAP Software Download Center. If you are not an SAP customer, you can get the SAP HANA Client package under a developer license from the SAP Developer Network.
Download the SAP HANA Client from the SAP Software Download Center
The SAP HANA Client package is available to SAP customers from the SAP Software Download Center.
- Go to Support Packages and Patches
- By Alphabetical Index, choose H
- Scroll to and click SAP HANA Platform Edition
- Click SAP HANA PLATFORM EDITION 2.0
- Scroll to and click SAP HANA CLIENT 2.0.
- Choose your operating system of choice from the dropdown menu.
- Download the revision of your choice. For most users, you can choose the most recent package.
The downloaded file is a SAR file. You must first extract it using the SAPCAR utility, and then run the installer. Most SAP customers will have the SAPCAR utility, but if you do not:
- From the SAP Software Downloads Center, go to Support Packages and Patches.
- By Alphabetical index, choose S
- Scroll to and click SAPCAR
- Choose the operating system of your choice, and download the installer.
- Follow the instructions to install the SAPCAR utility.
Download the SAP HANA Client with SAP HANA, express edition
The SAP HANA Client package is available to anybody as a free download, under a developer license, as part of SAP HANA, express edition (“HANA Express”), which is a streamlined version of SAP HANA .
- Go to the HANA Express home page and click the Free Download button.
- Fill out the short registration form and click Register.
- Get the HANA Express Download Manager by clicking the operating system of your choice in step 1A.
- Once the HANA Express Download Manager has been downloaded to your machine, open the program.
- Click to select the Clients package for your platform, along with any other packages you want. If you are new to HANA and have a machine with 16GB of memory you may wish to choose the Server Only Virtual Machine to get a HANA Express instance.
- The Clients package downloads as a zip file. Copy this to a temporary location and unzip it. It unpacks to give the HANA Client package (name starts with hdb) and the XS Advanced client package (name starts with xs).
- Open the HANA Client package for your operating system and extract the files to a convenient location so you can run the installer.
Installing the SAP HANA Client software
From your extracted download files, locate the hdbsetup installer executable. If you obtained the software from SAP Software downloads it is in the __installer.HDB or __installer_SCN.HDB subfolder.
Run hdbsetup and follow the instructions. The SAP HANA Client software includes several programming interfaces for SAP HANA, including ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, node.js, python, and the Go programming language. It also includes the ODBO driver for Excel and some command-line tools, including hdbsql (an SQL execution tool) and hdbuserstore (a utility for securely storing and managing connection parameters).
On Windows, the usual install location is C:\Program Files\SAP\hdbclient; on Linux it is /usr/sap/hdbclient.
Now you are ready to explore the new interfaces….