SAP launched several new Internet of Things (IoT) solutions at SAP Leonardo Live, its global summit being held July 11–12 in Frankfurt, Germany, to showcase the latest technology and use cases for innovation, including the SAP Global Track and Trace.
Emerging Trends in the Track and Trace Space
The world is moving fast. Companies are seeking ways to intelligently expand their digital core with true innovation – and this is where the SAP Leonardoinnovation system comes in, which allows enriching a company’s core business processes by IoT, machine learning, blockchain, analytics, and Big Data on SAP Cloud Platform.
Let’s explore how specific business trends and innovations impact today’s discussions around track and trace:
- Internet of Things (IoT) : It’s no longer just a buzzword. For many businesses, it’s just a step away. By linking physical processes with the information flow, IoT provides unprecedented new insights and increased granularity.
- Cloud/Software as a Service: Many companies struggle with poor visibility into their business partners’ operations, which can lead to bottlenecks, idle time, and delays. Improved business network capabilities in a cloud/software as a service environment can help businesses gain clarity and address these challenges.
- Elastic, on-demand architecture: Exploding data volumes require flexible, on-demand infrastructure, enabling businesses to adapt quickly.
- Instant insights: Today’s business users expect an enticing, on-demand experience that includes anytime, anywhere access to accurate, up-to-date business information.
- Blockchain: As a distributed ledger technology, blockchain may provide an irrefutable, validated record of product provenance from raw material origin to point of consumption.
- Machine learning: This analytics technology allows for better decision making by turning data into predictions and insights that enable supply chain optimization.
SAP Global Track and Trace
With this new cloud offering, we have started the journey of a new generation track and trace solution addressing these kind of requirements with a future-forward architecture that allows integrating with other SAP Leonardo innovations. It complements our digital supply chain on-premise portfolio with cloud-based, multi-tier logistics network capabilities and comes with:
- A Big Data architecture for scalable storage and indexing
- Native integration with SAP IoT Application Enablement
- Easy business partner on- and offboarding
- A generic modelling tool and SAP Fiori user experience, including milestone status visibility and reporting of planned and unplanned events, with outbound delivery as a pre-configured example
- SAP Cloud Platform integration to connect to SAP systems and third party systems
SAP Global Track and Trace will be continuously delivered and aims to provide real-time situational insights across global sourcing, production, and fulfillment networks to holistically address cross-industry as well as industry-tailored use cases.