In the upcoming weeks, we will be posting new videos to the SAP HANA Academy to help you get started on the Google Cloud Platform.
For the blog about Microsoft Azure, see
The full playlist can be accessed here
This blog is part of a series:
- Getting Started with Google Cloud Platform (this blog)
- Plus Apps. SAP HANA, express edition and XSA
- Initial Setup and Secure Configuration
- Start and Stop SAP HANA
In this blog, I will provide the references and some background to the first four videos about how to get started.
1. What is a Cloud Platform?
For those new to the topic, you can watch the first video from the series to get an overview and learn about some of the basics:
GCP is currently hosted at the following locations:
How GCP maps to Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure is documented here: https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/what-makes-google-cloud-platform-different.
2. Sign Up for the $300 Free Trial
Google currently offers a free trial program, which we discuss in the second video:
To sign up, all that is needed is a Google account and a credit or debit card. Note that there is no autocharge after the free trial ends, no hidden costs, so no nasty surprises. The trial is valid for 12 months.
For the FAQ, see https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/frequently-asked-questions
3. Create a Project
Before you can do anything on the Google Cloud Platform, you first need to create a project. This is discussed in the third video:
Note that the free trial allows for the creation of 6 projects. When you shut down (delete) a project it is first archived for 30 days before final deletion. This means that you cannot create and delete too many projects too often but you will receive a warning when your quota runs out.
4. Launch the GCP solution: SAP HANA, express edition
In the fourth video, we discuss the ins and outs of the SAP HANA, express edition Google Cloud Launcher solution provided by SAP.
The recommended version is labeled “server + applications” and includes the built-in XS application server, advanced model (XSA)
The other version concerns the server-only one.
The Google Cloud Platform includes a marketplace for partner solutions, Google Cloud Launcher “so you spend less time installing and more time developing”.
One of those 160 solutions is SAP HANA, express edition, provided by SAP: https://console.cloud.google.com/launcher/details/sap-public/sap-hanaexpress-serverinclapps?project=sap-hana-academy-174915
Similar to SAP’s own Cloud Appliance Library, a solution in GCP is a pre-configured system.
Note that GCP is not yet available as cloud provider on CAL, only Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
For more information see:
- Google Cloud Platform
- What makes Google Cloud Platform different?
- Platform Overview | Concepts
- SAP Solutions: Google Cloud Platform
- SAP HANA Deployment Guide: Google Cloud Platform
- SAP HANA Operations Guide: Google Cloud Platform
- Compute Engine Documentation: Regions & Zones
- Google Data Centers
- Google Cloud Platform Free Tier Frequently Asked Questions
- SAP HANA, express edition, Cloud Launcher
- Getting Started with SAP HANA Express on the Google Cloud Platform – by the SAP HANA Academy
- HANA Express Edition on Google Cloud Platform and Ubuntu
SAP Developer Tutorials
- 2456406 – SAP on Google Cloud Platform: Support Prerequisites
- 2456432 – SAP Applications on Google Cloud Platform: Supported Products and Google VM types
Thank you for watching
The SAP HANA Academy provides technical enablement, implementation and adoption support for customers and partners with 1000’s of free tutorial videos.
For the full library, see SAP HANA Academy Library – by the SAP HANA Academy
For the full list of blogs, see Blog Posts – by the SAP HANA Academy
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel for updates
- Join us on LinkedIn linkedin.com/in/saphanaacademy
- Follow us on Twitter @saphanaacademy
- Google+ plus.google.com/+saphanaacademy
- Facebook facebook.com/saphanaacademy