Extraction Run for Financial Data
In the work center General Ledger, you will find the Extraction Run for Financial Data. This functionality is intended to support two functionalities:
- Extract financial data for an audit by financial or fiscal auditors, as required by e.g. German law GOBD (formerly known as GDPDU). Some hints on this can be found here, in my older article, in German language.
- Extract data to feed an financial consolidation tool.
The format provided is SAP AIS. It has been aligned between providers of audit tools and SAP. It is not a file format that can be directly opened at a PC, but with some knowledge about the file structure it can also be opened in either Microsoft Excel or a text editor.
Opening extracted data in Microsoft Excel
A data extraction run writes a zip archive containing two types of files, those ending with .txt and those without an file extension. While the txt files contain the extraction definitions, the more interesting ones are those without extension. To open them in Microsoft Excel, follow these steps:
- Unzip the archive.
- Open Microsoft Excel. In the File Ribbon, click on Browse, and navigate to the extracted files. Select any of the files without extension. Click on Open.
- The Text Import Wizard appears. In the first step, choose “Delimited”. Set file origin to 65001: Unicode (UTF-8). Select My data has headers. Finally, proceed to the next step.
- Keep the default delimitier Tab. Go to the next step.
- In step 3, it might be that you need to change the data format for some columns, to have dates, quantities and amounts interpreted correctly.