Thanks to all my colleagues for great blogs so far highlighting SAP Lumira 2.0 Strategy, Capabilities and the new use cases it delivers to prepare our customers for Digital Transformation, to deliver agility with governance, to bring Business and IT together.
If you haven’t had a chance to go through these blogs, I would recommend refer to following link for set of blogs on SAP Lumira 2.0.
Now in this blog, I would like to focus on what Lumira 2.0 means for our existing Lumira 1.x and Design Studio 1/x customers.
While we had to make fundamental changes to Design and Architecture to deliver new possibilities with the Product, we have also been committed to make sure SAP Lumira 2.0 is a successor for Lumira 1.x and Design Studio 1.x.
When I call SAP Lumira 2.0 successor for Lumira 1.x and Design Studio 1.x, it would straight away set some expectations for the Product and release. Let me try to share few updates on those default expectations.
Upgrade not a re-implementation
Yes, you don’t need to plan for new deployment and implementation to take advantage of SAP Lumira 2.0 capabilities.
It’s going to be a simple upgrade on your existing environment. Please refer to blog “Updating SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform to Lumira 2.x” for details and step by step instructions.
Note: SAP Lumira 2.0 BI Platform add-on requires BI 4.1 SP08+ or BI 4.2 SP02+
Your investments are respected
SAP Lumira 2.0 Discovery & Designer has gone through certain changes in this version. While the changes to SAP Lumira Designer (Design Studio) are minimal SAP Lumira Discovery has gone through fundamental change in Design and Architecture.
We have deprecated the existing support for Common libraries components and completely switched to Mobile libraries to continue deliver more enhancements to the components and also make sure applications are responsive on every Device.
Whereas Discovery, had been completely re return from scratch using Designer runtime. Discovery is a great example of what you can achieve with Designer applications development environment.
With this approach we have a common document format (.lumx) for both Designer applications and Discovery Stories. which is a container for datasets, Stories and/or composites and applications
While taking a decision on these fundamental changes, we have always been working towards making sure with SAP Lumira 2.0 we don’t only respect your existing investments but also enable you to extend those investments to new use cases.
- Design Studio application compatibility mode and conversion
With Lumira 2.0 Designer and BI Add-On, you can continue to use your existing DS 1.6 application with no changes in compatibility mode.
If you wish to take advantage of new features, you just need to open DS 1.6 application in Lumira Designer and convert it into new format.
The pre-requisite for this conversion to is to have your DS 1.6 application using SAPUI5 Mobile components. To make it easier Designer supports exchanging SAPUI5 Common components to respective SAPUI5 Mobile components counterparts in an automated way.
Note: Applications still using legacy SAP HANA JDBC connections need adaptations, Please refer to SAP note 2475223 for details.
Note: Bookmarks created in DS 1.x wouldn’t be supported in Designer, bookmark capability has gone trough design change in Lumira Designer to deliver the enhancements requested by customers
- Lumira Stories conversion & recommendation
In case of Lumira Stories, unlike Design Studio there won’t be a compatibility mode. However, we plan to provide automatic conversion to new format when document is opened with Lumira Discovery or on BI Add-On.
As I mentioned earlier, SAP Lumira Discovery had gone through fundamental changes in Design, architecture and components. With Lot of new capabilities and few restrictions compared to previous versions.
And ofcource, this would come into picture during document conversion i.e. few of the features in SAP Lumria 1.x would be mapped to new features and/or concepts in SAP Lumira Discovery 2.0 visualizations and stories. Whereas, your prepared data is intact with absolutely no changes.
To take the complete advantage of SAP Lumira Discovery capabilities, would recommend to consider automatic conversion as a first step and plan for a bit of manual adaptation on a converted content esp. on Visualization and Stories.
- Data access and Visualization extensions
In SAP Lumira 1.x and Design Studio 1.x we provided extensions for you to extend the default capabilities of the product. While we continue to provide this support in SAP Lumira 2.0, we are also making sure your existing extensions continue to work.
- Lumira Data access extensions: All your existing DA extensions would continue to work with no changes. Except the case where you may have used SAP UI5 Common library for UI elements, for which you just need to update the extension with SAP UI5 .m library
- CVOM Visualization extensions: CVOM visualization extensions either created for Lumira or Design Studio would continue to work with both SAP Lumira Discovery and Designer in 2.0
- Design Studio Component SDK Extensions: The existing component SDK extensions would continue to work with SAP Lumira Designer.
As we understand, we have many partner extensions and customers using them. To avoid any surprises for our customers, we have already worked with following partners to validate their existing extensions on SAP Lumira 2.0.
Somethings get deprecated
- Following the platform strategy, we will support only the deployment on BI Platform going forward (2.0+).
- Following the HANA connection strategy, we will support only the HTTP/INA-based HANA connector for all workflows except acquisition in SAP Lumira Discovery
- Both Lumira Discovery and Designer will be supported only on 64-bit OS
- Common library components. New 2.0 applications will be based on SAPUI5.m library
- We do have few restrictions as well mostly in SAP Lumira Discovery, which we do plan to deliver in upcoming releases. Please refer to following link for details
I hope this blog clarifies queries on upgrade from existing environment and support you start putting together the plan.
To stay updated
- Register for the Lumira Newsletter: http://info.sapdigital.com/LUM-NSLTR-REG.html
- Link back to the Hub: What’s New with SAP BusinessObjects Lumira 2.0 Launch blog series: https://blogs.sap.com/2017/04/18/whats-new-with-sap-businessobjects-lumira-2.0-launch-blog-series/