SAP Leonardo Foundation is now offering a code-free Rapid Application Development Tool as part of its IoT Developer Experience
SAP IoT Application Enablement is part of the SAP Leonardo Foundation on the SAP Cloud Platform. The offering provides services, tools and components helping customers and partners to create a powerful virtual model of their physical assets on top of the big data infrastructure – the so called “Digital Twin”. It also delivers an IoT tailored development environment based on the SAP Web IDE that accelerates development and provides a common foundation across all apps. Customers are now able to develop IoT solutions efficiently, with a reduction in errors and ultimately speed up their time to market.
Starting from its first launch in November 2016 the SAP IoT Application Enablement solution already offers code-generating templates based on reusable UI controls, which can be easily extended by a developer.
On top of the template based app generation IoT developers can now design mashup applications using the entirely new Rapid Application Development perspective of the SAP Web IDE. Along with the newly designed reusable UI Controls it is now possible to create freestyle page layouts according to your use cases in completely code-free development tools. This feature allows developers even more to focus on design instead of coding, helping them create new applications in less time.
The newly provided features include:
- New storyboard perspective for rapid application development in the SAP Web IDE
- Freely definable page layouts with horizontal and vertical sections
- Drag & Drop of reusable UI Controls with “What you see is what you get” (WYSIWYG) capabilities
- Rich selection of reusable UI controls typically required for IoT use cases: Geo Map, Thing List, Thing Page, Sensor Chart, Gauge Chart, Event List, Sensor Image etc.
- Easy data binding to backend services configured via a dialog
- Easy interaction configuration between controls with events and actions via a dialog
- Live connection to data and live preview
- Wizard for creating a Multi-Target Application (MTA) for deployment on the SAP Cloud Platform as Cloud Foundry based application
Additionally, the product provides a robust application program interface to populate a sophisticated semantic data model with a combination of sensor and business data. An advanced authorization model provides support to control and define user access, supporting collaboration between a complex ecosystem of business partners. The solution has built-in features that eliminate the task of defining data management, by calculating aggregates, splitting data into warm and cold storage and automatically applying data retention policies. Utilizing SAP Cloud Integration services to connect data from smart things with business processes and applications, SAP customers and partners can change how they run their businesses. They are better able to reduce error and speed time to market, while increasing innovation and overall customer satisfaction.