Key User Extensibility on SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP S/4HANA On-Premise – UI Adaptions for Key User
Blog updated on: 18 August 2023
Key User Extensibility on SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP S/4HANA On-Premise – UI Adaptions for Key User and End User – Part 2
Target Audience – Business Experts, Key Users, Developers
|Blog updated for|
|SAP S/4HANA Cloud||2302|
|SAP S/4HANA On-Premise||2202|
Let’s start with SAPUI5 Flexibility services.
Imagine how easy it would be for you as a user, where you can quickly make adaptations to the standard SAP Fiori apps that are – Modification-free, easy to use and cost-effective. If you are also thinking the same, then yes you are on the right blog. Read through!
For any enterprise, adapting the standard SAP Fiori apps quickly to fit their business processes and requirements is the key. These adaptations can vary like – adding fields, hiding fields, or rearranging them on the UI. The answer to all these is – SAPUI5 flexibility services that can be performed by different users ( developers, key user and end users ).
For different users SAPUI5 flexibility supports differently as you can see from the below image.
- If you are a developer
- You can change the UI of an app that wasn’t developed by you. No source code change. However, this you can achieve by creating an adaption project for the app via SAP Business Application Studio
- This way a new variant of the app is created in the ABAP repository where the original app is. This new variant of the app however still refers to the original app. When the original app receives updates from SAP, this new variant is also updated along with it
- If you are a Business Expert, Key User –
- You can adapt the SAP Fiori apps at runtime for your team. For example, say you are a team lead and you do the adaptations. Once you release this new version of the app, it is available to all the users
- Of course, along with general adaptations, you can also create custom fields
- If you are an End-User –
- You can do the adaptations as well, however, these are only limited to you
- These adaptions are termed as ‘Personalization’, and these do not affect other users
In a nutshell, based on your user profile, SAPUI5 flexibility services offer you different adaptation techniques
Let’s now come back to this blog topic, where we are covering adaptations services for a Business Expert, Key User. To summarize, as a Key User following UI adaptions are enabled for you as Key User at runtime –
- You can Drag & drop UI elements
- You can Rename UI elements
- You can Add/hide fields
- You can Cut & paste UI elements
- You can Add/delete field groups, sections
- You can Combine/split fields
- You can Undo, redo, discard changes
How to do the SAP Fiori App adaptations?
Let’s start with the Manage Product Master Data app ( App ID: F1602 ) and run some adaptations. In case you would also like to try it, you may access this demo app ( Try adaptations yourself using this demo app ).
Please note this demo app will allow you to make the changes, but it does not have the ‘Publish’ functionality.
Under the product list, click on a product line item to see the details-
Next under the user icon choose Adapt UI option.
Once you choose Ok, UI Adaption Mode will open, and a bar will appear on the top of the page
Let’s now do the following adaptations one-by-one.
Renaming the field labels-
Let’s change the field label ‘Marked for Deletion’ to ‘Is it Marked for Deletion’. For this select the field, pencil icon (Rename) will appear. Select the same and change the label. Alternatively, you can also right click on the field label
Once you click on the Pencil icon, the field label will be highlighted and next you can change the label
Now rename the field
To make these changes effective, click on the ‘Publish’, followed by ‘Save and Exit’ button from the UI Adaptation bar.
You should see the message –
Click on Ok
The page should auto-refresh, and it will be loaded with the new changes.
Let’s see other types of adaptations now. You can go through the attached video where you will be able to see –
- Drag and drop
- Hide/remove fields
- Add fields
- Create new group
- Move fields and groups
- Combine fields
Some technical details around enabling UI Adaptions at runtime for Key Users
To ensure that Adaptions are enabled for Key Users in addition to authorization for transports following prerequisites are necessary –
- Assign the key user to the authorization role SAP_UI_FLEX_KEY_USER
- Activate the ICF node /default_host/sap/bc/ui2/flp using transaction SICF and ensure that the key user uses the new FioriLaunchpad.html page
- Ensure that the key user has the required authorizations for transports
Check this SAP Note 2584385 for more details on the pre-requisites needed for enabling the Key-User extension
Congratulations you have successfully finished Key User In-App Extensibility, UI adaption on S/4HAHA Cloud!
Rohit Khan, S/4HANA Regional Implementation Group
Click the below link to visit the Part 3 of this blog series
Link to part 1 of this blog