KM Folders are utilized as the base platform in which KM Documents are stored. For example through KM End-Users can access, obtain, manage and review data information through documents sourced from the business intranets, external WWW feeds, and file servers. The KM Documents themselves are presented in the standard formats of PPT, excel, word documents and html.
As we know ActiveX itself is confined to Internet Explorer as it is Microsoft technology and can only work in IE.
- “ActiveX is a software framework created by Microsoft that adapts its earlier Component Object Model (COM) and Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) technologies for content downloaded from a network, particularly from the World Wide Web.“
KM & Local Editing
Now surrounding the Local Editing mechanism itself the corresponding support documentation guide on how to install & configure KM DocService remains SAP Note 755581 – Installation ActiveX Edit Locally.
Additionally you can utilize and follow the following note to perform some troubleshooting surrounding the “Edit Locally” option:
- SAP Note:1095284 – Edit Locally does not work – troubleshooting
IE Settings for Active X
From IE’s perspective the ActiveX settings in the browser (Internet Explorer) should be maintained as follows:
Choose Tools → Internet Options → Security → Custom Level in the menu bar.
- Download signed ActiveX controls = Enable
- Download unsigned ActiveX controls = Disable
- Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe = Disable
- Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins = Enable
- Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting = Enable
Just in relation to SAP Note: 755581 – Installation des ActiveX Edit Locally it is important that all of the steps in this guidance documentation are followed accordingly. Incompletion of the steps will lead to discrepancies surrounding the ActiveX Setup and thus loss of functionality.
From the KM perspective a key point of reference here is the following documentation note that you can utilize and follow to perform some troubleshooting surrounding the “Edit Locally” option:
– SAP Note:1095284 – Edit Locally does not work – troubleshooting
ActiveX itself cannot be used in Chrome/Firefox and also IE11 Edge Mode all three will not operate correctly.
- In a scenario such as this (Chrome/Firefox/IE11(Edge)) applet should be used.
Due to the limitations with ActiveX no longer working accordingly with IE11, it was advised switch it to Java Applet mode.
- Please check the following Note for additional details: SAP Note 2358918 – ActiveX and VBScript not supported in IE edge mode The first point of analysis here is for you to check your browser settings as per note 747031.
Simple Issue Analysis
If you are encountering issues with the Edit Locally option and ActiveX setup one key point to check is if the behavior can be reproduced in all client machines.
If the behavior (problem) is confined to “one” particular user then this would confirm that there is no underlying issue with the “Edit Locally” functionality or “KM Configuration” .
If only one user is affected then this would indicate that the root source would be sourced to the client side for this particular user.
From a high level perspective you might need to check and update the ActiveX Version (on this users machine) or review this users browser settings (as per Note: 747031)