With Software Update Manager (SUM) 1.0 SP 20, a new use case is introduced for DMO of SUM: DMO with System Move. This blog provides an introduction into this use case, which is of course described in the respective DMO guide, section “DMO with System Move”.
Scenario is that you want to change the host of your Primary Application Server (PAS) instance during the DMO procedure. Until now, this was not possible during DMO.
With this use case, it is possible
- to change the PAS host inside your System landscape, or
- to move your system to a different network area / data center, or
- to migrate your system from on-premise to HANA Enterprise Cloud (HEC), or other cloud providers
- for SAP internal colleagues, this procedure was known as “DMO to SAP Cloud”. It is now available not only for targeting SAP Cloud.
- “DMO with System Move” works for target database type SAP HANA and SAP ASE.
- Restrictions are listed in the SAP note 2377305 for DMO with SUM 1.0 SP 20.
- Before starting the DMO procedure, you have to set up the new PAS host in the target landscape, in addition to the target database
- You do not have to set any specific control file or parameter before starting the SUM
Enabling the use case
- On the dialog with DMO details (like Migration Key), an option “DMO with System Move” is offered.
- When this option is selected, the SUM will execute some tasks in the source landscape (like export the data from the source database), and afterwards execute some tasks in the target landscape (like Import the data to the target database).
- In the source landscape, the target database parameters (like database host name) do not have to be provided
- Once the tasks in the source landscape are finished, the SUM will tell you on a dialog to copy the SUM directory to the target landscape, in which the procedure will be continued. The SUM directory contains all required files
- Transfer of SUM directory can be done e.g. via network (if possible), or via USB disk.
To reduce the downtime, it is possible to use a parallel mode in which data export and data import is running in parallel. Interested? You have to consult the DMO guide anyhow – the parallel mode is described in there, and is beyond this short introduction.
Product Manager SUM, SAP SE