More and more customers are moving their portal entry point to the cloud, and ask to integrate and consume SAP applications from on-premise in the cloud.
SAP Business Explorer (SAP BEx) is a set of flexible reporting and analytical tools that resides in the SAP NetWeaver platform. Many end users need SAP BEx to evaluate their data and generate reports.
Administrators can configure a dedicated app in the SAP Fiori Launchpad configuration cockpit to enable authorized end users to launch SAP BEx reports from their SAP Fiori Launchpad or Portal freestyle sites.
To configure a BEx App in SAP Cloud Platform Portal, you need to first set a connection between SAP Cloud Platform and SAP NetWeaver Platform.
To set the connection between SAP Cloud Platform and SAP NetWeaver Platform:
- Configure a trust between SAP NetWeaver Java and SAP Cloud Platform
- Create a destination in your SAP Cloud Platform account that points to SAP NetWeaver platform. Note that the destination for setting the BEx connection should contain the additional property BEx with the value true.
Once the connection is established, you will be able to add applications of type BEx to your SAP Cloud Platform Portal sites. Each BEx application directs to a single BEx report. To configure the report that will be opened by the BEx application in your SAP Cloud Platform Portal, you would need to obtain its query string. You can get this string by following these steps:
- Open SAP Enterprise Portal (EP), navigate to your BEx role and open it.
- Select the report you would like to view in Cloud Portal from the available reports listed for this role, and open it.
- Copy the value of “BEx Web Application Query String”. if you can’t copy it from the displayed properties, select to view All properties and copy from that screen.
In SAP Cloud Platform Portal open the SAP Fiori Configuration Cockpit, select Apps, and create a new application. Select SAP Business Explorer (BEx) in the App Type field, set the System Alias to be the destination name of your SAP Business Explorer, and set the BEx Query to the BEx Web application Query String you copied from EP. Remember to add the newly created App to a group in the SAP Fiori launchpad.
Note: The App Type SAP Business Explorer (BEx) is available only if a destination to a BEx system is defined
Your SAP Fiori launchpad now also includes the newly created App tile.
When users click on a BEx App, the relevant BEx report is displayed in a new window.
To add an SAP BEx app to a freestyle site, you access Content Management from the side panel of the Site Designer, select Apps, and configure the SAP Business Explorer (BEx) app as explained in the procedure above.