Exposing ABAP Reports to Business Objects Reporting tools via Universe/IDT
Most of us would have wondere
d, why can’t we use the ABAP programs/reports in any of the BOBJ reports. During my course of work, I faced a similar challenge. To derive a BOBJ report, I need to replicate the same ABAP program into a BEX Report or a HANA VDM, which is expensive with respect to both time & hard work.
But, after some research I found a way to expose the ABAP reports directly into BOBJ tools.
To find out how, Please follow the steps below:
Log into the SAP system and go to T-CODE: SE37
You can create/design or view RFC enabled ABAP report under this T-code.
Please ensure, you have the ‘Remote Enabled Module’ checked, as shown above.
Then, design your query under the source code and Activate. (I’ve made simple selection for Demo purposes).
Now, you’ve created RFC enabled Functional Module. You can access this particular query under any of the reporting tools by creating connection under Information Design tool/Universe.
Connecting under Information Design Tool
Please open Information design tool from Business Objects BI platform client tools. (Only if you’ve installed client tools).
- Right click under ‘Local Project’ and under New – choose Project.
Enter the name of the Project and Click Finish.
- Right click on project and select New > Relational Connection
- Provide name and click on Next. You’ll find a list of Database middleware options. Choose SAP and Then SAP ERP 6 and SAP JAVA CONNECTOR (SAP JCo) and Next.
- Then, you have to provide the credentials of the system, from which you’d like to connect your RFC enabled Functional Module and Finish.
- You’ll then find an ERP connection under your Project. You may test the connection if necessary.
- Please Right click on the Project and choose DATA FOUNDATION, provide name and description accordingly.
- You can create a Data Foundation layer by providing the appropriate ERP_Connection and Finish.
- Double click on Data Foundation, and you’ll be able to see ABAP, Global and Local Functions. You can find the customized RFC enabled Functional Module Zfunctions of ABAP. Whilst, the others hold standard functions.
- You can right click on the chosen table from the function, to view the raw table data.
This way you can access all your ABAP reports in BOBJ reporting tools with minimal hassle.
Hope this helps!