This blog is part of the Lumira 2.0 launch blog series.
[Updated 2017/09/20 to align product names and add licensing approach for Lumira standard]
As you know, Lumira 2.0 is an ambitious project to bring together 2 code lines into a single product that can address data discovery and analytic application use cases.
To review, Lumira 2.0 includes 3 separate components:
- SAP Lumira discovery edition
- SAP Lumira designer edition
- SAP Lumira server edition
- SAP Lumira standard edition
The discovery edition is the successor to Lumira Desktop 1.31.
The designer edition is the successor to Design Studio 1.6.
The server edition is the successor to BOTH the Lumira Server for BI Platform 1.31 and Design Studio server addon 1.6.
The standard edition is a limited version of discovery, and sold without maintenance on the SAP Store and through distribution partners.
So for the desktop clients, it’s pretty straightforward:
- If your license entitles you to Lumira Desktop 1.x, you get the discovery component with a valid maintenance agreement.
- If your license entitles you to Design Studio 1.x, you get the designer component with a valid maintenance agreement.
- If you own Lumira standard edition 1.x, you will need to purchase Lumira standard 2.x. Customers of any desktop software sold without maintenance agreements need to purchase the next major versions of the product.
But what about the server version of 2.0? We are bringing together 2 sets of customers with 2 different license entitlements onto a single component.
Before we made any decisions about how to handle this, we established a few principles to guide our decisions:
By taking a use case approach, we are able to ensure continuity of functionality that is in line with what customers expect while protecting the investment of existing Lumira customers.
One thing you may notice here is the mention of ‘managed data discovery’ and ‘modern self service data discovery’. What do we mean by that?
- Managed data discovery requires IT to perform initial setup – such as creating a Universe, creating a BW query, configuring the connection from Explorer to these managed data sources.
- Self-service data discovery aligns with Gartner’s definition of modern BI, which allows a business user to complete the entire BI workflow without assistance from IT including data access and data preparation.
Now that we have established our use cases, we can align them with product entitlements:
This table shows how Lumira 1.x customers continue to be entitled to server features that supports the self service data discovery use case, while we are creating use-case appropriate restrictions on single Lumira 2.0 server that narrows the functionality to just what is required to support enterprise dashboards, analytic applications and managed data exploration functionality.
This also significantly simplifies our BI solution portfolio and provides a clear licensing path forward for customers that own licenses to any of the following products:
- SAP BusinessObjects Dashboards (Xcelsius)
- SAP BusinessObjects Explorer
- SAP BusinessObjects Lumira 1.x
- SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio 1.x
We have literally hundreds of legacy material codes that include these licenses that needed to be updated to include Lumira 2.0. Now that Lumira 2.0 is generally available, you should be able to download the components you are entitled to.
If you have specific questions regarding the license entitlements for the licenses you own today, please contact your partner or SAP account executive. As every contract is different, I can only provide generic answers here.
What to do next
In the next months, you’ll be hearing many more details on SAP Lumira. I’ve personally briefed many many customers and user groups on the solution, and the interest has been nothing short of inspiring! While you eagerly wait for more details, here are a few key activities you can start to get ready.
- Run a holistic Analytics Strategy workshop: sap.com/bistrategy
- Establish your data strategy with an Information Governance Assessment workshop. http://infogovtool.sap.com
- Get ready for the newest innovations by upgrading to BI 4.2. Schedule a BI Upgrade Technical workshop
- Register for the Lumira Newsletter
- Stay tuned to this space for a sweet set of blogs on Lumira 2.0
- Check out tutorial videos on YouTube and SCN
- Check out the roadmap on sap.com: sap.com/roadmaps