Related blogs of the series:
Planning SAP Fiori Cloud on SAP Cloud Platform
For a detailed setup and configuration information about SAP Fiori cloud, see
- SAP Fiori Cloud for S4HANA – Quick Implementation Guide , (detailed documentation)
- SAP Fiori Cloud for Business Suite – Quick Implementation Guide , (detailed documentation)
SAP Mobile Service for SAP Fiori on SAP Cloud Platform
SAP Mobile Service for SAP Fiori on SAP Cloud Platform takes users beyond accessing SAP Fiori apps from a Web browser with secure and seamless integration for mobile deployment scenarios. SAP Mobile Service for SAP Fiori is an application service that helps you optimize SAP Fiori for mobile performance with end-to-end solutions for packaging, customizing, securing, connecting, testing, distributing and monitoring Fiori apps.
- SAP Mobile Service for SAP Fiori enables users to securely access native device functions, receive push notifications, gain fast access to the app and its data locally.
- SAP Mobile Service for SAP Fiori delivers a simple way for administrators to manage, secure, enable and test Fiori apps and their lifecycle post-deployment—allowing for secure and seamless integration with complex Fiori deployment scenarios.
- SAP Mobile Service for SAP Fiori delivers application and data security as well as secure access and authorization.
For more information, see the SAP HANA Cloud Platform, mobile service for SAP Fiori User Guide. For mobile in general, see SAP Cloud Platform Mobile.
Planning SAP Fiori for SAP S/4HANA Cloud with SAP Activate
SAP Activate is the combination of best practices, methodology, and guided configuration to help customers and partners implement the SAP S/4HANA suite. It is designed for IT and business professionals who are involved in the migration to or configuration, integration, or extension of SAP S/4HANA.
Integrated with SAP S/4HANA, SAP Activate delivers ready-to-run business processes for transactions and analytics. You can access SAP Activate by signing up for a free trial of SAP S/4HANA, available here.
SAP Activate best practices is available separately from SAP S/4HANA on SAP Best Practices for user experience in SAP S/4HANA.
The assisted implementation utility of SAP Activate – often referred to as Guided Configuration – is an integral part of the product SAP S/4HANA and is provided through the “Manage Your Solution” Fiori-application. For an overview on Guided Configuration, see SAP blog SAP S/4HANA – How to “Manage Your Solution” with SAP Activate.
System Landscape Components for SAP Fiori (On Premise)
A typical SAP Fiori Implementation consists out of the following system landscape components.
To host and provide SAP Fiori app content to the client, you’ll need to install and configure several UI components for your front-end server. SAP Gateway software is also required.
The back-end server hosts the SAP business applications for which the SAP Fiori apps have been created. To access the corresponding business logic and business data (including users, roles, and authorizations), services for SAP Fiori apps must be deployed.
For S/4HANA SAP Fiori apps the front-end server requires a SAP database, the backend SAP HANA. Other SAP Fiori Apps typically have no restrictions for the front-end server databases.
SAP Fiori apps and the SAP Fiori launchpad run on various smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computers that supports HTML5 browsers. SAP Fiori client is the recommended hybrid application runtime on mobile devices.
Reverse Proxy Server
For communication between client devices and your front-end server, we recommend installing a reverse proxy server, for example, SAP Web Dispatcher. Due to standard browser limitations, using a reverse proxy server is mandatory for some SAP Fiori apps.
Planning SAP Fiori Implementation with SAP Best Practices
SAP provides this content free of charge as an added value for licensed customers, with the aim of driving down implementation costs, accelerating deployment, and adding benefit to their investment in SAP products.
The packaged solutions are published in SAP Best Practices Explorer with assets covering solution design, configuration and software and delivery requirements. Note: to be able to download, you need an account for SAP Service Marketplace.
The SAP Fiori apps rapid-deployment solution offers overview and implementation information for different types of Fiori applications and technology components of the Fiori landscape. For more information see User Experience in SAP Best Practices Explorer and the “Accelerator” Software and delivery requirements, which lists all prerequisites that are needed for deployment to start, including those for the system, content, tools, and project.
Planning an Installation or Update with SAP Maintenance Planner
SAP Solution Manager’s cloud-based Maintenance Planner enables easy and efficient planning of all changes in your SAP system landscape. It is the successor of Maintenance Optimizer, Landscape Planner, and Landscape Management Database (LMDB) Product System Editor and combines their functionalities and is mandatory for planning SAP S/4HANA and SAP NetWeaver 7.5+ based systems. Maintenance Planner consolidates critical tasks such as definition of product maintenance dependencies, generation of a stack configuration file, and selection of archives in a single tool.
With the maintenance planner, you can:
- Get an overview of the system landscape, including system dependencies, before planning a change.
- Determine the impact of a system change on your landscape, with features like product maintenance dependency.
- Download the stack XML that contains all the planned changes, and put the required files in a download basket.
- It offers integrated processes for installation of SAP Fiori Apps and conversion to SAP S/4HANA
For more information, see Maintenance Planner on SAP Support portal.
Planning with SAP Fiori Apps Reference Library and Maintenance Planner
SAP Maintenance Planner is integrated with SAP Fiori Apps Reference Library. In the reference library, select SAP Fiori apps to view product features and implementation details. Switching on the aggregate mode will let you install multiple Fiori apps with a single transaction. Click Aggregate to view aggregated installation and configuration requirements.
Fiori apps that can be installed together on the same backend system can be grouped together with selecting “Prepare Apps for planning with Maintenance Planner”.
Once apps are grouped, navigate to Maintenance Planner directly from implementation details tab. In this scenarios, all the apps selected can be installed in a single instance of Maintenance Planner i.e. on a single back-end system.
For more information about planning and installing Fiori Apps with Maintenance Planner, see SAP blog Simplified Installation of SAP Fiori Apps with Maintenance Planner.
Planning with the Maintenance Planner directly
The overall process of planning an installation or update is the following:
- In Maintenance Planner, select existing system (embedded deployment) or plan installation of a new system (hub deployment).
- Optional: Upload system data to the Customer Profile through SLD/LMDB to calculate further Add-on installations, Updates, upgrades, or conversion of existing systems.
- Choose target product version and Support package stack for all involved systems.
- Generate and download consolidated stack.xml and archives (download basket) for front-end server and optional together with “sl-toolset”. SL-toolset contains Software Provisioning Manager (SWPM) and Software Update Manager (SUM).
- Use stack.xml for installation with Software Provisioning Manager or for updates and add-on installation (such as FES on top of an existing AS ABAP) Software Update Manager.
Access Maintenance Planner directly.
Landscape Planning for SAP Fiori Front end Server (On Premise)
SAP Fiori front-end server is an add-on product for NetWeaver AS ABAP and delivers the technology front-end software components required to run Fiori applications with the required stack definition.
SAP Fiori Front-End Server allows various deployment options. In general, you have two options to setup the SAP Fiori Front-end Server to deploy the front-end server into an (existing) SAP landscape:
1:1 Hub deployment: A dedicated AS ABAP based front-end server is deployed “in front of” one Business Suite or S/4HANA backend system.
Hub multi-backend deployment: Only available for specific scenarios, see Landscape Deployment Recommendations for SAP Fiori Front-End Server.
Embedded deployment: The front-end server is deployed into the (existing) AS ABAP of a Business Suite or S/4HANA backend system.
Each option has both advantages and drawbacks. It is therefore up to the customers to decide, which deployment option for SAP Fiori Front-End Server suits best their IT and business needs.
For further information, including mobile and multi-backend scenarios, see Landscape Deployment Recommendations for SAP Fiori Front-End Server and the blog SAP Gateway deployment options in a nutshell.
Planning SAP Fiori Front End Server
SAP Fiori Front-End Server runs on SAP NetWeaver AS for ABAP and delivers the front end components required to run SAP Fiori apps in the right stack definition. These components are:
- NetWeaver Application Server ABAP – alternative versions as prerequisite
- User Interface Technology – including the SAPUI5 library and SAP Fiori launchpad
- SAP Gateway Foundation – for communication between front end and back end
- Optional: SAP Fiori app implementation foundation (SAPUIFT) – administrative tools for configuration tasks
- Optional: UI for Basis Applications – “SAP Fiori Apps for SAP NetWeaver on HANA”
The complete stack is a “front end server”.
SAP Fiori apps are delivered separately as SAP Business Suite or S/4HANA (on premise) product-specific UI add-on products. Front end parts must be installed on top of the front-end server.
The version SAP Fiori Front End Server (SAP FES) defines the version of SAP User Interface Technology (SAP UI). Fiori SAP FES 2.0 always contains SAP UI 7.50 and FES 3.0 always contains SAP UI 7.51.
The SAP Gateway Foundation version is always the same version as the underlying NW AS ABAP.
SAP Fiori Front End Server allows alternative AS ABAP versions as prerequisite, whereof one version has to be chosen. SAP FES 2.0 allows AS ABAP 7.31, 7.40 and 7.50, SAP FES 3.0 allows AS ABAP 7.40, 7.50 and 7.51.
This is necessary to update older NW AS ABAP versions with newer versions of SAP UI, without updating the underlying NW AS ABAP. This is mainly helpful during maintenance and in the embedded deployment scenario.
However, lower NW AS ABAP and SAP Gateway Foundation versions may not provide the full functionality of the newest version for SAP Fiori (see release notes of SAP Gateway Foundation versions).
Recommendation: Typically, for a new hub deployment the recommended AS ABAP version is the newest available.
The optional “UI for Basis Applications”, named “SAP Fiori Apps for SAP NetWeaver” is the Fiori front-end component for the backend server AS ABAP. It is released for AS ABAP on SAP HANA Database only, and available from AS ABAP 7.50 (backend version) and higher. It is not backward compatible, means each AS ABAP version, needs the correct front-end version.
Remark: Older SAP Fiori apps allow the use of the SAP User Interface Add-On for SAP NetWeaver, based on NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.31. The SAP UI Add-on is available in version 1.0 and 2.0. A successor version is not planned. SAP UI Add-on 1.0 can be upgraded to FES 2.0, UI Add-on 2.0 can be migrated to FES 2.0.
From NW AS ABAP 7.40 on, the components of SAP UI Add-on are included into AS ABAP. Some of the older Fiori Apps allow the usage of NW AS ABAP 7.40 without FES 2.0 as prerequisite. NW AS ABAP can be migrated to FES 2.0 or upgraded to FES 3.0.
SAP recommends to replace these setups with SAP Fiori Front end Server.
Optional: SAP Web Dispatcher
You may also consider to install SAP Web Dispatcher as a reverse proxy or load balancer in front of Fiori Front-end Server.
Optional: Enterprise Portal with SAP Fiori Front End Server (On Premise)
SAP Enterprise Portal can be deployed in a system landscape as a central hub integrated with a central SAP Fiori Front-End server.
- The SAP Enterprise Portal is adopted as independent application to integrate Fiori content and portal content of SAP Business Suite, and to provide end user access for SAP and NON-SAP backend applications (One stop-shop for Fiori and Portal content)
- SAP Enterprise Portal is centrally deployed as a separate system
- SAP Fiori launchpad is deployed in the SAP Enterprise Portal system (FLP on EP)
For more information, see Enterprise Architecture Explorer – SAP EP as central hub with central Fiori FES.
Optional: SAP Business Client 6.0 and SAP Fiori Front End Server (On Premise)
With SAP Business Client 6.0 for the first time you can launch SAP GUI for Windows transactions directly from the SAP Fiori Launchpad. SAP Business Client offers an integration of the SAP Fiori launchpad to allow a unified SAP Fiori user experience:
- SAP Fiori launchpad as start page, connecting directly to the SAP ABAP Frontend Server
- Launch SAP GUI transactions using embedded SAP GUI for Windows
- Business role configuration purely SAP Fiori launchpad-based
For more information, see SAP Business Client for Desktop – SAP BC.
Optional: SAP Mobile Platform and SAP Fiori Front End Server (On Premise)
SAP Mobile Platform (on premise) allows to rapidly deliver secure, highly scalable consumer and business apps to any iOS, Android, or Windows device.
Enterprise requirements addressed by SAP Mobile Platform include:
- Enterprise authentication (single- or multi-factor), single sign on, network edge security, SSL, reverse proxy, remote access
- User/device registration, onboarding
- Application lifecycle management
- Horizontal scalability, high availability, Usage statistics
- Administrator client application policies, including access to device features (camera, geolocation, etc.)
- Offline enablement for SAP Fiori packaged apps.
For more information, see SAP Fiori Implementation Information, chapter Integration of SAP Mobile Platform into SAP Fiori Landscape.