Top Tips & Tricks for Better Boardroom Performance
Here on the BusinessObjects Cloud team we are committed to improving system performance. Thanks to the overwhelming success of BOC, we are re-doubling our efforts to continuously look for new ways to improve performance. Here are a few of those improvements that are underway.
Starting with Wave 2017.01, location analytics uses the underlying HANA Spatial clustering algorithm (k-means) to optimize performance for interaction with greater than 20,000 location points. This new clustering capability is now enabled by default. If a user manually turns it off, a maximum of 20,000 location points are displayed. This new capability brings significant performance improvements when visualizing large numbers of geo location points. We are ensuring we take advantage of the underlying HANA architecture of our cloud platform to give optimal performance.
For our Digital Boardroom (DiBo) fans, here are some best practices to improve your Boardroom agenda experience:
Before you start
- For better DiBo presentation performance, open agendas once prior to first use. This caches most of the agenda and story resources, as well as any Geo Spatial Map resources required.
- Remove unused pages from each story. This works wonders for those that have to deal with slow network speeds.
- Unused pages will not affect actual client-side processing time, but will lower the size of the actual story content that needs to be downloaded to the browser.
- Use charts/tables/geo widgets as needed. Widgets that don’t add value to the presentation still affect load time!
- Remember, optimize the number of pages and charts on each page when you click on an agenda sub item.
- Be careful with the use of charts with many thousands of data points. These charts are often difficult to interpret and can significantly affect performance.
Images and pictures optimization
- Try using small pictures (below 1MB) to prevent long network download times.
- Save JPG files as PNG. The file size is significantly smaller!
- SVG vector files are the smallest and offer the best performance.
Linked Analysis when using chart, table and grid
- Make sure you use only link charts together if they need to be.
That’s it for this time! Be sure to follow me for more updates / best practices coming your way.