Google Ads Integration with SAP Marketing Cloud
Google AdWords is an online advertising service developed by Google. It allows to display advertising with search results (paid search or Search Network), display banners (Display Network), video campaigns and more.
SAP Marketing Cloud offers an integration to Google Ads supporting these scenarios:
- Creating an user list on Google Ads: User lists can be used to target some contacts specifically (e.g. with higher bids) in the various campaigns on Google Ads.
Use case: We know that subscribers of newsletters or loyalty card holders have a higher affinity to the company’s products than random visitors. Therefore placing a higher bid for them in the search network will show the company’s ads more likely with the search result. This brings the loyalty card holders more likely to the company’s web page and web shop.
- Linking an existing Google Ads (Search Network) campaign. After linking the Google Ads campaign to one campaign on SAP Marketing we fetch the success data.
Use case: Many customers have marketing agencies that manage digital campaigns. To tie back the campaign success data along with platform costs SAP Marketing just links to the Google Ads campaign. With this success data can be compared cross campaigns and cross campaign types as well as actual cost data can be run against spend budget. This feature allows to continue the working model between the marketing department and the marketing agency yet giving the marketing department more transparency.
Do you work with agencies? No problem, this integration supports you and your agency to do the work even better.
- Your marketing agency can target people even more specifically by using the user lists. The user lists are loaded by your marketing department, there is no need to send your most valuable customer lists unhashed to anybody outside your company. The user lists are automatically updated based on your schedule setting.
- You get the success data of the campaigns and can compare actuals vs planned.
How to use it
The Google Ads integration can be found in the campaign. When you create a campaign, select the “Paid Search” tile. In the campaign flow you can select whether to create or assign a Google Ads campaign.
Creating or assigning campaigns currently supports Search Network campaigns only.
For either scenarios you can add an audience / a target group which then is replicated as a user list to Google Ads.
To create a user list on Google Ads it is necessary to do it via a campaign, however it isn’t necessary to activate or use the particular campaign on Google Ads side. The user list can be used where ever needed in Google Ads.
Both scenarios fetch success data from Google Ads.
- the customer needs to have a Google Ads account
- the customer needs to have or license an own SAP CPI tenant
- to install the app for Google Ads integration. See SAP API Business Hub SAP Marketing Cloud Google Ads Paid Search Integration.
- to configure and store Google Ads Access token from their Ads MCC account
Architecture of integration
On SAP Marketing Cloud the integration scenario SAP_COM_0030 describes the setup in more detail.
See how it is embedded into SAP Marketing Cloud:
In case of issues:
In case you face any issues, please take a look at this link, and create an SAP support ticket. Please understand that in this blog we can discuss business practices and the SAP ticketing is meant for technical questions or issues.