Daylight Saving Time in BI Platform – 2017
As Daylight Saving Time is fast approaching, we wanted to make everyone aware of SAP BI Platform’s readiness.
– DST will start in the US this Sunday, March 12 @ 2am
– DST will start in much of Europe on Sunday, March 26 @ 1am
SAP Development routinely accounts for DST when testing BI Platform releases & patches, and additional testing is completed by Support every year as well.
I’m happy to report, DST this year will continue to be a non-issue for the vast majority of customers. There are a few considerations to be aware of though, and I’ve described them below:
– SAP BI uses the system’s clock and time zone rules. If your time zone’s DST rules have recently changed, ensure your operating system’s time zone / DST definitions are up-to-date.
– Specific to Unix/Linux, ensure the correct time zone is either (a) specified at the system level — for example, in Linux, /etc/localtime should be a symbolic link to / or copy of the appropriate time zone definition, e.g. /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York or (b) failing that, the BI user account has the appropriate TZ variable defined. See KBA 1404484 for full details.
– Instances whose runtimes fall within the one-hour period skipped by DST’s start will have their scheduled start time adjusted by +1 hour. For example, in the US, instances with a start time of 2:30am will now run at 3:30am instead. Recurring instances’ start times will be permanently adjusted in this way, and should be rescheduled as needed. See KBA 1986781 for full details.
– The issue described within KBA 1448881 — in which a daily recurring instance might begin spawning hundreds of duplicate instances — has been known to occur, very rarely and less severely, within SAP BI 4.x. The solution to this issue is also described within that KBA. If you do happen to experience this issue and might like any assistance, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com, and I’ll be happy to help!
Should you encounter any other issues around Daylight Saving Time, or just have any concerns you’d like addressed, please do let us know!
Thanks and regards