Are you interested in getting certified as SAP HANA technology associate?
In this blog, I will explain how you can prepare for the SAP Certified Technology Associate – SAP HANA certification exam.
This exam covers system administration topics and is also the exam required to perform certified installations of SAP HANA in a tailored data center (TDI) environment. See Recent changes in the SAP HANA Technology certification program 2016.
This blog is part of a series:
- SAP Certified Technology Associate: C_HANATEC_12 (this blog)
- SAP Certified Technology Associate: C_HANATEC_11
I will discuss the different topics areas in more details in the upcoming weeks in a series of blogs, so stay tuned.
About the Certification
At the time of writing, there are four editions of the SAP HANA technology associate certification:
- C_HANATEC_12 – SAP Certified Technology Associate – SAP HANA (Edition 2016)
- D_HANATEC_12 – SAP Certified Technology Associate – SAP HANA SPS12 (Delta)
- C_HANATEC_11 – SAP Certified Technology Associate – SAP HANA (Edition 2016)
- C_HANATEC_10 – SAP Certified Technology Associate – SAP HANA (Edition 2015)
10, 11 and 12 refer to the SAP HANA 1.0 support package stack (SPS) version.
For the delta exam, you get half the questions for half the price but the questions are more difficult (same questions as in the full exam but without the easy ones).
There are no trainings/certifications yet for SAP HANA 2.0. Based on the release timelines in the past, I would expect these to become available in Q3 2017.
As a rule, SAP certifications are valid for a limited time period, see the FAQ.
For a list of valid certifications, see https://training.sap.com/shop/certification/validity.
You can check the validity of your exam in the SAP Credentials Manager.
So far, only the SPS 09 exams and earlier (2012) have expired.
The number of questions for the exams is the same: C = 80, D(delta) = 40.
The cut scores differ slightly: 10 = 58%, 11 = 64%, 12 = 60%, 12D = 57%. In other words, exam 12 is bit easier than 11.
There are 10 topics, and most have the same relative weight (8-12%). In my exam, if not mistaken, I had exactly 8 questions for each topic. So, the topics were well balanced.
- System architecture
- Users and Authorization
- Backup and Recovery
- Installation and Upgrade
- Database Migration
- High Availability and Disaster Tolerance
For the exam, the following SAP Education training resources are listed:
- HA200 SAP HANA – Operations & Administration (5 days, handbook 713 pages)
- HA240 Authorization, Security and Scenarios (2 days, handbook 276 p.) for topics ‘Users and Authorization’ and ‘Security’
- HA250 Migration to SAP HANA using DMO (2 days, handbook 166 p.) for the topic ‘Database Migration’
You might need to include the prerequisite for HA200 as well:
- HA100 – SAP HANA Introduction (2 days, handbook 242 pages)
Training participation is not a requirement. However, because of the direct relation of the exam with the trainings, participation is certainly recommended. If you can only attend one training, make it HA200.
Additional resources as preparation for the exam are publicly available on the SAP Help Portal:
- SAP HANA Administration Guide (1326 p.)
- SAP HANA Security Guide (270 p.)
- SAP HANA Troubleshooting and Performance Analysis Guide (212 p.)
- SAP HANA Master Guide (100 p.)
- SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide (224 p.)
The Database Migration Option (DMO) of the Software Update Manager (SUM) tool is not included in the SAP HANA documentation set but part of the System Landscape Toolset on the SAP Service Market Place (requires login).
A good start is the SCN document Database Migration Option (DMO) of SUM – Introduction.
SAP HANA Academy
To help you prepare for the exam, there are several playlists with dozens of tutorial videos on the SAP HANA Academy channel on YouTube.
- SAP HANA Installation and Update
- SAP HANA Administration
- SAP HANA Security
- SAP HANA System Replication
- Backup and Recovery
- Multitenant Database Containers
- Monitoring SAP HANA
If you have not reviewed them yet, see the SAP Certified Technology Associate: C_HANATEC_11 – by the SAP HANA Academy.
Thank you for watching
The SAP HANA Academy provides free online video tutorials for the developers, consultants, partners and customers of SAP HANA. Topics range from practical how-to instructions on administration, data loading and modeling, and integration with other SAP solutions, to more conceptual projects to help build out new solutions using mobile applications or predictive analysis.