In a digital business, the need for “information excellence” is not only aspirational, it is foundational to the success of an enterprise. But what is information excellence? Simply stated, it is the ability to ensure that enterprise data is trusted, complete, and relevant for analytical or operational use cases.
Are you running a live business? If you are, then you likely depend on having high quality data that is readily available for business processes and analytics. You also know that with the explosion of data volumes, types, and systems that are creating and storing information is not all that easy to keep up with. Sigh!
So how do we create trust in data, find relevant data to transform our insights, and govern it within the applications and systems that drive customer engagement? With the latest product innovations and new versions of the enterprise information management (EIM) portfolio we announced January 30, 2017 in this SAP MarketFlash, we are taking a step closer to helping companies on their digital transformation journey.
- IT organizations will be able to seamlessly exchange and integrate data between on premise and the Cloud with enhanced support and connectivity for loading large and diverse data types. For example, the new patent-pending data extraction capability in SAP Data Services provides fast data transfer from Google BigQuery to any database such as Hadoop, SAP HANA Vora, SAP IQ, SAP HANA and other cloud storages for improved data processing performance.
- Developers want to optimize performance of data processing and they want choice of processing engines. In the latest SAP Data Services release, we introduced a new capability that allows users to choose the processing engine for Hive data reading and loading. Our customers can now dynamically pick which processing engine – either SPARK or MapReduce – and process Hive queries faster than ever.
- Business users need a solution that helps them easily and quickly transform data with built-in data profiling, data cleansing, data blending, and data enrichment capabilities for the best data curation possible. In the latest release of SAP Agile Data Preparation, users can share, export and import rules between different worksheets or between different data domains. The rules are shared through a central and managed repository as well as through the ability to import or export the rules using flat files. This feature builds trust in the data and ensures data asset reusability. For example, users can promote data sets that are approved by governance and reuse across projects. All the while, IT has the ability to monitor and track data usage and apply rules to protect sensitive data.
- Data stewards need a way to define and implement information policies to best support efficient business processes and trust in reporting. But how can data stewards – as well as anyone in the organization – quickly and easily view and understand information policies? With the latest release of SAP Information Steward, information policies are visible to everyone. Data stewards can access information policies while viewing rules, scorecards, metadata and terms to immediately verify compliance. General users can also view the information policies within any application, system, or portal. For example, a user in a travel management application can click on an icon (embedded through web services via SAP Information Steward), to immediately view and understand its corporate policy for travel expenses.
- Developers can now embed data cleansing and enrichment services within any business process or application with SAP Data Quality Management microservices beta version, available since June 2016 on SAP HANA Cloud Platform. This cloud-based data quality offering provides self-service data verification and enrichment for address data around the globe and provides a simple pay-as-you-go consumption model.
Find the latest user blogs, questions and answers, and resources on our SAP Data Services and SAP Information Steward Community pages. Join the conversation with other users today or find out more about our SAP Enterprise Information Management solutions by visiting www.sap.com/eim.