You might have noticed it. SAP has a new cool Help Portal. Associated with the new look and feel is a new Contents Management System (CMS) that we internally call UACP (User Assistance Contents Platform) on which all documentation of SAP should reside. Well, the ABAP Keyword Documentation is a kind of SAP documentation too.
A small recap:
- The ABAP Keyword Documentation is what you get if you hit F1 in an ABAP or CDS Editor in SAP GUI or ADT.
- For this we have
- a SAP GUI Version for SE80 & Co. that also can be called by transactions ABAPDOCU and ABAPHELP
- an ICF version for ADT that also can be called by program ABAP_WEB_VERSION or from the SAP GUI version.
- The main direction of this documentation is bottom-up (from F1 to more general).
- But it might also be helpful to read the documentation top-down, from higher to lower nodes of the contents tree and without being connected to an ABAP server.
- Therefore, a third version, the so-called file or offline version, is available for download from the SAP GUI version by selecting the respective icon in the documentation window’s task bar.
For your convenience and especially for referring to the documentation in mails or discussions, snapshots of the download version of the last releases were made available as part of help.sap.com‘s offer.
Now help.sap.com has moved to a new CMS. And I am happy to announce, that after some initial problems (the URLs are case sensitive now) the ABAP Keyword made it too. Here are the new links:
As before, you can add ?file=… .htm behind the URLs in order to address specific topics (if you know the file names). From 7.51 on there is an URL-button for that.
It is not as cool as the rest of help.sap.com but “contents first!”
Please use the new addresses from now on.
There are redirects from former help.sap.com and there is also an intermediate help-legacy.sap.com but the direct usage of the above addresses is more robust and the help-legacy.sap.com will vanish in the future.
What’s left to do?
A search field as it is available in the other versions would also be nice in the portal version. Any recommendation how to accomplish this without having the convenience of an ABAP backend behind are welcome. The data are there (ABAP Index, ABAP Subjects, ABAP Glossary) and can be prepared as files in any format. All we need is some crispy JS to search in such files. I’m already looking. But since the JS for the tree synchronization came from the community (from Sandra Rossi), why not also some ideas about searching? You can try your ideas with your private download versions.
And then, yes then we might even invest into a cooler look …