One of the core functions of HR Operations, in any industry, is the Separation process. A vast majority of all separations are voluntary resignations. Therefore, making it is very essential to automate the process and capture every fundamental information associated with it.
SuccessFactors Employee Central provides a standard Separation/Terminate action that limits the employee from initiating a Voluntary Resignation. From offline discussions to over-the-email approvals all voluntary resignations involve tedious processes before the employee can actually be terminated in the system. Moreover numerous essential historical information are lost in the offline process.
The solution, illustrated below, to overcome this challenge is very simple and demands minimal efforts. The methodology followed involves using a custom MDF portlet to capture the necessary details and a simple process in Dell Boomi to synchronize the information with the standard Separation portlet in SuccessFactors Employee central.
Step 1: Custom MDF portlet is designed to capture the following fundamental, but not exhaustive list of information:
- Date of Resignation: The date on which the resignation is raised (System Date).
- Notice Period End Date: Calculated using business rules based on Employee Seniority, PayGrade and Country Specific Legal laws.
- Requested Relieving Date: The relieving date expected by the employee.
- Approved Last Working Date: Relieving Date approved after discussion between Employee, Reporting Manager and HR Manager.
- Reason for Leaving: Employee’s reason for resignation.
Step 2: The above custom fields are also configured in standard Separation/Terminate portlet.
Process Steps & Illustrations
Step 1: Employee fills the following information in Resignation Portlet (MDF):
- Request for Relieving date: Employee can enter desired relieving date.
- Reason for Leaving: Employee selects the applicable reason.
- Comments: Employee can enter any additional comments or remarks relevant to the resignation.
Step 2: The following information is auto populated and are read only for the employee:
- Date of Resignation: Rule has been configured to auto populate system date.
- Notice Period Last Date: Rule has been configured/assigned as per the companies notice period policy and date is auto populated.
- Approved last working date: Same as “Notice Period Last Date” (Editable for Reporting Manager and HR Manager)
Step 3: Request sent for Approval to Immediate Reporting Manager and HR Manager.
Approval Process and Workflow:
Step 1: Reporting Manager needs to enter the “Approved Last Working Date” field and approve the Resignation workflow request. This date will be considered as Last working date unless the next approver modifies the date.
Step 2: Similarly, HR Manager updates the “Approved Last Working Date” field if necessary and approve the Resignation workflow request.
Dell Boomi Atmosphere process:
- The standard SuccessFactors connector is configured to query SF OData API for the custom MDF object for Resignation.
- The API only picks up the approved resignation requests if any approval workflows are involved.
- Once the approved resignation requests are fetched the required details are mapped to Separation/Termination.
- The Resignation Date, the Notice Period End Date and Employees Resignation Reason are mapped to the respective fields in Separation/Termination.
- The End Date (Termination Date) must be mapped from “Actual Last Working Date”.
- The Event Reason must contain a default value corresponding to external code for the Event Reason – Voluntary Resignation.
7. The next step is to upsert the populated profile using the standard SuccessFactors connector and the API SFOdata.EmpEmployeeTermination.
As a result of the above process, Separation action which is run by HR is automated in Employee Central.
The Separation/Termination details can be viewed in the Employment Information under Employment Details portlet of the employee records, as shown below.
- Enhanced experience of Employee Central for the End-User by providing this complete functionality.
- Leverages the SuccessFactors MDF objects to build a customized solution for the Client.
- The Dell Boomi process is simple and easy to implement.
- The solution has no impact on the system performance.
- Client is dependent on the Dell Boomi consultant for any changes in Dell Boomi.
- The transfer of direct reportees is not handled in the current solution.
Will incorporate transfer of direct reportees.