SAP ByD: Localization Toolkit and Language Adaptation Tool services. Set new subsidiaries anywhere in the world.
Let me give you the latest information on localization for our ecosystem, which might be valuable for extending your business.
The reason is simple, the subject is demanded broadly from several customers, partners and market units, aiming to execute some additional roll out or sales projects. In addition, Localization at ByD delivers the content to plan any project and…it plays a strategic role in SAP ByD advantages. The presentation is available on pdf at PartnerEdge. The recorded webinar can be found as well on this blog
Find the most relevant messages shared with the audience at our webinar earlier announced. First, let remind on some basic concepts for those who just started to discover SAP ByD:
- When SAP provides a country version, we support customers to run business with SAP Business ByDesign according to international standards and local requirements. It includes functional localization (e.g. adapting the solution to common legal requirements), internationalization (e.g. Unicode, currencies, time zone, etc.) and translation (e.g. local language). Today 19 countries are under this category.
- For the rest of the non-localized countries – Pre-localized and Tax Basic Countries (as we call them in ByD terminology) which provide extended or basic tax calculation respectively. On these options, the Localization Tool Kit, a set of development tools, questionnaire and instructions, enable partners and customers to extend or adapt ByD capabilities to provide a locally-compliant solution. About 89 countries currently have customers running operations on any of these options.
What is Localization Toolkit and where to find it? Customers and Partner can get details in our wiki
With the Cloud Applications Studio we give guidance to our customers and partners on how to create new country with several guides to set up the local requirements as collected. A simple and common scenario demo shows the necessary steps with the example of Ghana enabling Withholding Tax Configuration and then submitting Supplier invoices (as it can be seen at minute 10.29)
- Download the relevant version of the Cloud Application Studio.
- Create the new country in the Customer Specific Localization (CSL) add-on. This will be available for scoping in the customer tenant after the add-on solution is deployed.
- As per the business process need, set up the accounting Principle, Chart of Accounts, Financial Reporting Structures, Account determination group, Withholding tax etc. Check the guides developed for each of this requirements available at the localization wiki
- Withholding tax scenario is the most commonly used use case in any non-localized country.
What’s the Language Adaptation tool and when to expect it?
The tool provision of non-SAP languages to provide additional value-add / services to customers. It also supports the context of “subsidiary” scenario for companies (e.g. sales-focused subsidiary with limited functional scope and language skills of employees).
Customer Language Adaptation tool will be released 1702 for beta-version testing by selected pilots. Expected General Availability planned during the second half of 2017 after completing stability and performance Tests, have been delayed to summer 2018 due to priorities changes in our planning. On this, SAP is also considering to enhance the tool with Translation HUB Services and new Features.
From a technology perspective in SAP ByD, this customer Language Adaptation is a Key User tool that allows ByD customers among others to set their system for specific language. The demo part of the tool starts at minute 37:05 in the video attached below and features the following content.
- Translate ByD Work Centers such as Purchase Requests and Orders, Sales Orders, Supplier Invoice etc. into languages that are not supported by SAP. Interesting to remind the fact that some of the Work Center like Sales contains more than 40.000 words!
- Adaptation on distinct texts so that they fit into the customer domain industry expertise and terminology.
- Text-pool creation per target language via resolution of UI elements connected to a work center, adapt not only static UI texts, such as Work Centers and Views, but also application-specific texts such as codes values (value help, e.g. payment methods, currencies, tax codes etc); Message texts or Analytical report texts
- Translations / Text Adaptations may be created by the following methods
- On-line adaptation in tool UI
- Off-line processing / translation of texts via MS Excel-based export ( import feature)
- On-line text proposal retrieval from SAP Translation Hub (contractual framing conditions to be defined)
- In addition, we want to share some conditions and some limitations which shall be documented in a preliminary user guideline to be published in Q1 2017 by the accountable team.
- Text pools and translations are tenant specific, requirements for language logistics for multiple tenants are being defined
- Multiple new target languages may be implemented in parallel based on existing “Communication Languages” and a specific customer reserve language key
- Creation of in-house SAP language transports or packs is not possible
- Customer-specific texts created via e.g. PDI connected to a WoC / WoC view are collected
- Help documents and Adobe Forms not in scope
- Selected technical limitations (status beta release 1702)
As we are still in the beta release of this tool and pilot customer were already identified, we advise for those with specific question to interact on SAP JAM for Localization
Stay tune for next blogs about localization services announced on this blog which will continue our effort to make localization a strong capability on SAP ByD.
Thanks for you useful block, can you just guide us on detailed steps need to follow for Language Adaption Tool Services(Steps from SDK development and from functional setup perspective)
Thank you for your comment.
At the time the Development Team completes the Pilot Phase, any user will have access to documentation. This Localization Services will be properly roll out as part of the "what's new" and documentation will be at your Hands.
If you are not still member of SAP JAM localization Group, where we share detailed Information, please contact me.
Kind regards, Antonio
Okay Thanks Antonio.
We are member of SAP Jam, unfortunately we are not able to find much details about Language Adaptation Tool in SAP JAM. Could you please share more details on this tool.
Amogh Vijay Kumbhar
Sure, we can share more Information on this tool. Would you mind to post the question into SAP JAM and be more specific about the type of Information you are looking after?
At the time the tool is released to customer, you will find additional and documentation as mentioned on earlier Reply.
Thank you, Antonio
I would like to join Sap Jam, where can I go and register.
please send me a link.
i'd like to be invited to the SAP Jam Group if possible.
please add me to the SAP Jam Group.
i’d like to be invited to the SAP Jam Group if possible.
I have a customer requirement to change the language of some screens in SAP Business ByDesign from English to Arabic, is it applicable or not?
Arabic is not included in our 11 languages available in ByD. Then, there is not chance to switch to Arabic. The option to leverage the Language Translation toolkit would be the approach to follow at the time this feauture is released to customer, expected in summer 2018.
Kind regards, Antonio
I realize this may not be the best place to ask this question.
We want to switch on Spain in BYD, as we want to set up a new company code there. I am trying to create a simple Project, where all I do is select Spain in the initial scope. However, the system will not let me save the project, as it states there are inconsistencies, but when I look at the scoping questions it does not show a problem
Are you able to help?
Hi Antonio, I am looking for localization status and roadmap of Turkey. I am BYD service partner in Asia, my customer-installed is going to expand BYD into Turkey office further. Could you pls let me know the status and roadmap? I could not find any regarding Turkey... Rgds/ Kevin
SAP ByD localization Team do not have any plans to start Turkey localization in mid term future. I may advise you to check if other Partners have done some Customer Specific localization (add-on) to leverage it. Please check my latest blog where you can get Information on where to find in in SAP JAM.
Appreciated your comment. Your advice on add on partner would be helpful. thanks Kevin
We are byDesign partner from Asia.
Could you please help to confirm if the Customer Language Adaptation Tool is already available now?
Where can we get this function under the "Application and User Management"?
Please correct me if I'm wrong with the understanding of this tool, with this Customer Language Adaptation Tool, we can replace the original naming of the selected fields; and please kindly advise how we can add another language which is currently not available in the system with it? Is this function available now?
Thank you in advance
The Language Adaptation Tool is not General Available yet. We have planned it for 1902 as the release users will get full access and can operate on their tenants with freedom.
Yes, your understanding is correct and any UI text can be replaced by the new language you want to use and once done, this new langauge will be picked in your log on Screen.
If you need to get it now, even in Beta Phase, please let me know as we need to perfomr some manual activation and task in your tenant.
Kind regards, Antonio
Sincerely appreciate for your prompt response, please kindly let us know how we can get the BetaLanguage Adaptation Tool, what information we need to provide and whom to be informed with related information, thank you again
As this tool can be actrivated only in your tenant, please send me a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org to complete the process.
Thank you, Antonio
Please invited to the SAP Jam Group if possible.
I am glad to invite you. Please reach me by email as I need to check your Partner or Customer Status before sending any Invitation to that Group.
Thank you, Antonio
Please invited to the SAP Jam Group.
Only you have the access to invite or any SAP employee can invite to JAM group? because in the FAQ it say SAP Employee.
Hemanth Gowda P
I am glad to invite you to SAP Jam localization Group for SAP ByD. Please share with me your email address so I can send you the invite.