Minding User Adoption During S/4HANA Implementations
You have just invested a significant amount of time and money implementing SAP S/4HANA. Do you know how your employees are using the new solutions?
User experience is key to all technology adoption. The business impact from your employees not understanding or adopting the new S/4HANA solutions can be costly. Even if you just completed your S/4HANA deployment, your journey towards improved operational performance is only starting. You will need to accurately measure adoption to ensure that users are successfully leveraging the new processes and solutions. Utilization data, not just at the application level, but down to the screen level, gives you the visibility you need to understand where adoption is lagging or where employees are experiencing bottlenecks of performance.
Even if your organization is in “run mode”, there is still a lot of work to be done to uncover both realized benefits and ongoing challenges. Some of the challenges may sound familiar:
- Where are we losing money due to productivity loss?
- Where has adoption of the new processes been slower than expected?
- Is the system processing transactions at the expected speed?
- How much has performance changed – by functional role, business process, or business unit?
- Are there opportunities to further improve workflow or performance?
- What specific transactions or process steps result in errors or incorrect processing?
To answer these questions, you need to have access to the right information. With this information, you can reduce employee service costs while sustaining or even improving user experience and productivity. Specifically, you can:
- Monitor user interactions with the SAP systems to quickly identify usability issues
- Measure software response times to gain insight into system issues and their user impact
- Pinpoint actual training needs by getting a complete view of errors by business process
- Provide executives with insight into application usage, adoption, and policy compliance
- Reduce time to resolution for support tickets by accessing diagnostic information in real-time
IDC reports that organizations that analyze relevant data and deliver actionable information will achieve productivity gains that will equal $430 billion over their peers. Collecting detailed user analytics is increasingly a must-have in the enterprise, not only to ensure a better user experience, but also to mitigate the risks associated with large and complex implementation projects.
Using real user data to quiet all the “noise” that follows a software implementation or migration project will help you alleviate one of the top concerns of Business and IT stakeholders alike: did we have a positive impact on our users’ experience?
Once you fully understand user behavior (and frustrations), you can address adoption challenges more effectively. This may involve making process design changes, improving the application usability, removing redundant steps, delivering more targeted training, or communicating changes more effectively to your users. With improved user adoption, you will be able to maximize the return on your investment.
Remember: if you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.
Thank you for highlighting the importance of user adoption in a successful S/4HANA migration project.
Many organizations have incorporated Knoa's user analytics to guide them at every at step of their S/4HANA migration journey to:
You can read about how Graybar used Knoa to streamline SAP S/4HANA migration and improve project management there: http://knoa.com/press-releases/graybar-uses-sap-uem-by-knoa-to-streamline-sap-s-4hana-migration-and-improve-project-management
More info here: http://knoa.com/solutions/migrate-to-sap-s4hana