Through a research period of four months, Eventful Conferences has conducted extensive interviews with 50+ chemical industry companies, and held two roundtable events in key chemical industry locations – Philadelphia, PA and Houston, TX. The intention of the research is to summarize the most common and critical challenges that the industry must address – crucial to their success. These pain points have been identified by the industry during the roundtables and throughout the interviews. The Best Practices for Chemicals Conference will strive to address each challenge, pain point and trend by providing solution-oriented presentations, backed by specific evidence and packaged to provide the audience with clear takeaways on how to achieve similar results.
In this issue we will discuss key challenges and questions in context with Manufacturing, Maintenance and Environment, Health and Safety. If you missed or would like to revisit the previous entries in our series, please follow the links below.
At the core of many chemical companies is the manufacturing of products for distribution to other companies or direct to consumers. Efficient manufacturing presents an immediate opportunity for profit improvement, and using technology and digitization to achieve this efficiency was an overwhelming theme throughout our research.
Many aspects of manufacturing – production planning, maintenance and reliability, environmental health and safety – all featured in our conversations on technology and its interface with this aspect of chemical businesses.
Integrating to Shop Floor Technologies
- What tools exist to bring manufacturing shop floor data like sensor data, control data, SCADA data into my SAP landscape to integrate OT and my IT system?
- What case is there for using SAP MII and for integrating the shop floor to back office operations?
- Is OSISoft’s Historian technology an alternative and can they be used together?
Maintenance and Reliability
- How can I balance production needs with capital allocations and with maintenance needs?
- What data should I focus on for predictive maintenance purposes? How do I separate out the meaningful data from the fluff?
- How can I leverage IT/OT convergence and the Internet of Things to minimize shutdowns/turnarounds? How can I leverage IT/OT convergence to achieve other business objects, such as decreasing plant costs?
- Does investing in SAP’s AIN (Asset Intelligence Network) make sense? Have other Chemicals customers and what results have they gotten?
Environmental Health and Safety
- Can I use SAP to measure and ensure EH&S compliance in my facilities?
- How can I use technology to better assess risk and prevent adverse effects from safety or environmental issues?
- How can mobility and digitization improve my EHS component? Should I be looking into wearables?
To get answers to these and many more questions come and visit us at the Best Practices for Chemicals Conference, being held in Houston on April 4-6, 2017 and Register Now!
Are you ready for the Digital Revolution in the Chemical Industry? Please take the Survey Now and let us help you in establishing the right platform and roadmap for your transition!