Evaluating learners’ experience within the LMS, and the knowledge and skills they attain, is important in keeping your company’s training experience engaging and up-to-date.
SuccessFactors LMS currently supports Levels 1-3 of the Kickpatrick Levels of Evaluation. Level 1 – Reaction, evaluates learner’s satisfaction of the course and it’s resources. Level 2 – Learning measures the learner’s knowledge of the material via an exam. Level 3 – Behavior attempts to measure how the learner has been able to apply what they learned in the course to their working life.
- Level 1 – Reaction evaluations are called questionnaire surveys within the LMS. They are meant to evaluate a user’s satisfaction with the learning they received. Questions can cover satisfaction with the the course material, the instructors and course delivery methods. Because it is meant to capture a learner’s immediate reaction to the course, the survey is delivered to the learner as soon as learning is recorded (or in some cases, even earlier).Level 3 – Behavior evaluations are similar in structure to Level 1 surveys, but are geared towards measuring application of learning. The evaluation questions cover how the learner has been able to apply what they learned to their career and work life. Other key differences between Levels 1&3 include delivery times (surveys are sent x number of days after course completion) and who completed the survey (learner and/or their manager).
Creating the Survey
Surveys are created in the LMS admin tools by accessing the Learning Menu>Questionnaire Surveys. Click “add new” to add a new survey.
On the next page, add in a unique survey ID, a survey name, a survey level (Level 1=Item Evaluation: User Satisfaction, Level 2=Follow-up Evaluation: Application of Learning), as well as domain, and optional description and comments. Click “add”.
Once the next page loads, click on the “questions” menu tab on the left. This is where you can add questions to your survey. The admin designing the survey begins by determining the number of pages they would like the users to navigate through. Some clients prefer to put all their questions on one long page, while others like to break it up into several pages.
Breaking a survey into multiple pages does have a few benefits. Each page can have its own title and instructions. If, for example, a certain page of the survey asks questions about material learned on a certain day, that can be called out here. Furthermore, each page has a resource menu – if an admin selects “Instructor” as the resource of that page, if a course has multiple instructors, the page of questions will be repeated by the number of instructors for that course. Each page will call out what instructor is being evaluated, allowing admins to collect data on learner’s satisfaction with each individual instructor. Use the blue plus icon to add additional pages.
To add questions to a page, click the green plus sign in the upper right hand corner. This will create a new question box with four question type choices.
- Multiple Choice – Learners can select one or more possible answer choices to the question.
- One Choice – Learners can select only one answer to the question.
- Open Ended – Learners enter their own responses to the question in a free text box.
- Rating Scale – Learners select options from a rating scale (created by admins in System Admin)
Once the question text is added, the green plus sign is used to add possible responses for multiple and single choice questions.
Example of multiple choice question:
One survey can be used across multiple locales, eliminating the need to create multiple surveys in multiple languages. Simply click the globe icon next to the text you need to translate. A box will appear where you can add the translation into one or more locales.
Once all pages and questions have been added, the admin can save/preview the draft, and if satisfied with it, publish it.
Your survey is now ready to be deployed! See the second part of this post, Deploying and Managing Surveys in the LMS, coming soon!