Copying Data to an Empty Company in SAP Business One – Best Practice
Copying data from an existing company database to an empty new company can save a lot of time comparing to defining everything from scratch. In this article, we’ll see the best way to copy configuration settings from an existing company to an empty new company, using Quick Copy.
As explained in the previous post about this topic, the copy method is a key setting when copying data. The Accounting data (chart of accounts, segmentation, posting periods, etc.) is a unique data category in the sense that it is supported only by ‘Delete All Records and then Add New Records’ copy method. Since the Quick Copy can support only one copy method each time, when planning to copy configuration data from one company to an empty company, make sure to split the copy process as follows:
- Copy first the Chart of Accounts configuration (with ‘Delete All Records and then Add New Records’ copy method)
- Copy other configuration settings (with ‘Add New Records and Update Existing Records’ copy method)
There are some special notes for copying Chart of Accounts:
- When selecting the Chart of Accounts object, three other objects are automatically selected due to dependencies: Account Segmentation, Posting Periods (with its G/L accounts), and Dimensions. You cannot deselect those objects or select them independently without selecting the Chart of Accounts object.
- When importing the data file, G/L accounts of different objects in the target company are nulled, and then the data from the file is copied into the accounts of those objects (the same as when you change the Chart of Accounts Template field in the SAP Business One application). Those objects are as listed below:
- Financial Report Templates
- Financial Report Categories
- Item Groups
- Tax Definition
- Sales Tax Authorities
- Sales Tax Codes
- Sales Tax Authorities Type
- House Bank Accounts
- Withholding Tax
- Internal Bank Operation Codes
- Fixed Assets Account Determination
- When copying Account Segmentation, if the source company enables account segmentation and the target company does not, it will be enabled in the target company and vice versa.