Did you know… SAP Analytics Cloud Story Tips and Tricks
This blog provides some information about SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC) story tips and tricks.
- When building a story on a large data model, begin by creating filters. This will allow you to filter to the precise data you need while also optimizing performance.
- To quickly create a temporary story, drag and drop MS Excel files directly onto the Home screen. As you drag the file you will get the choice to either prepare the data or have SAP BusinessObjects Cloud automatically create a model ready for use in a story.
- Visualizations can be copied between different stories by pressing <Ctrl>+<C> and <Ctrl>+<V> within the same Chrome session.
- Pictures that are uploaded retain their original size. They are not optimized or shrunk. Therefore it is important to crop/resize your pictures appropriately before they are uploaded. Please take this into account when tuning the performance of a story.
- Use thresholds in charts to change color based on value. This is the equivalent of using a KPI in a table.
- To create a threshold, choose “Conditional Formatting” from the “Tools” menu.
- To apply a threshold, select the chart then, from the “Builder” panel, click on “+ Add Dimension/Threshold” in the “Color” section.
- Use Story Pages to provide additional, related visualizations rather than create single page stories for each visualization.
- Document, communicate and enforce shared story-naming conventions.
- Make sure stories that require user input (e.g. planning input templates) are clearly identified.
- Collaboration within a story is extremely useful to understand the context or discuss the results. Encourage everyone to use the “Discussion” feature within a story.
- Test how text labels and numbers visualize in the story, so that the story content is usable, e.g…
- Are the text and background colors complimentary?
- Does the font size result in text being truncated?
- Is the scale and number of decimal points appropriate for the displayed number?