If you are a short-fused reader or have no time
The appliance in three bullets and 30 seconds:
- The appliance contains an SAP S/4HANA 1610 system with pre-configured SAP Best Practices and demo scenarios (it is the successor of the SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition 1511 appliance and trial).
- It can be rapidly brought up as your personal instance with administrative rights either hosted (in 1-2 hours) or on-premise (in 1-2 days)
- Typical use cases are sandboxing, proof-of-concept, scoping, etc., Fastest way to consume is via the SAP S/HANA 1610 30-day trial (video tutorials can be found here)
More details needed ? Read on…
What is an appliance ?
A (software) appliance is a compressed system (think of it as a large .tar or .zip file) that can be rapidly extracted into a regular system instance by preserving everything that has been configured in the appliance during the build phase of it,
This makes it an ideal medium for pre-configured systems e.g. for sandboxing, proof-of-concept or scoping/fit-gap purposes.
In the SAP S/4HANA 1610 fully-activated appliance, you will find the SAP S/4HANA software (along with some other components, see further below), the fully-activated SAP Best Practices for SAP S/4HANA 1610 (incl. technical configuration e.g. for the Fiori launchpad), and prepared demo scenarios with sample master and transactional data.
[Fig 1]: SAP S/4HANA 1610 Fully-Activated Appliance – Concept
How can the appliance be consumed ?
The appliance can be consumed in two ways
- In a hosted environment (using cloud provider infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or the SAP-internal Monsoon) with the SAP Cloud Appliance Library (SAP CAL) as bridge into the hosting providers.
Setup time is 1-2 hours, and the easiest way is to use the SAP S/4HANA 1610 30-day trial.
- On dedicated on-premise hardware that has a supported Linux release installed (everything else will come with the appliance).
Setup time is 1-2 days.
Details for option 1 (hosted):
If you are already experienced with the SAP S/4HANA on-premise edition 1511 trial, you will find it easy to use the new appliance&trial release since the ‘mechanics’ are the same as before:
- Built-in 30-day test & evaluation license for SAP S/4HANA and SAP CAL (free of charge for the supported trial scenarios during that time)
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) or MS Azure fees (~ 4–5 USD per uptime hour) are charged to your account
- Support via asking the SAP CAL community
- Possibility to extend the 30-day trial phase by acquiring an SAP CAL subscription license (requires valid SAP S/4HANA license as well)
If you are new to trials in SAP Cloud Appliance Library, there’s a detailed ‘Quick Start Guide’ on the SAP S/4HANA 1610 trial page to get started. Registration in AWS/Azure and SAP CAL takes a few minutes, start-up of your personal trial instance will take 1-2 hours.
[Fig 2]: SAP S/4HANA 1610 – 30-day trial summary
Details for option 2 (on-premise installation):
You can receive the trial appliance for installation on your own on-premise hardware either via download or via shipment of 3 Blu-Ray discs (the appliance size is ~ 100 GB).
The shipment is free of charge, however, corresponding SAP licenses need to be in place. For SAP customers, an engagement with either SAP Consulting or an enabled SAP partner is required to receive and deploy the solution on customer premises. Ordering of the discs by a partner and deploying it on customer-site afterwards is not allowed.
The following SAP notes contain more information on the ordering process:
[Fig 3]: SAP S/4HANA 1610 Appliance – Consumption Methods
The following chart summarizes the deployment options and the needed license / cost drivers for each option.
[Fig 4]: SAP S/4HANA 1610 Appliance – License & Cost Drivers
What is the content & scope ?
The scope of the appliance centers on the SAP Best Practices content and has been extended compared to the 1511 release.
It now covers the below 9 ‘walkthrough’ scenarios that are explained in detail in an extensive demo script on the SAP S/4HANA 1610 trial homepage.
- Cash daily operations
- Procure-to-pay (incl. Extended Warehouse Mgmt. EWM)
- EWM Outbound Processing
- Fiori Custom Fields
- BI Platform Reports
- SAP Screen Personas
[Fig 5 a&b]: SAP S/4HANA 1610 demo walk-throughs
But of course you’re free to explore and adapt the system as needed (and covered by the terms&conditions of the trial) since you have full administrative rights and even access to the Linux operating system.
What is technically contained in the appliance ?
Technically, the trial consists of four virtual machines that are automatically bundled into one solution instance:
- SAP S/4HANA (the core ABAP backend incl. the SAP HANA database)
- SAP NW JAVA with Adobe Document Services (for forms, output management, and usage in Credit Management)
- An SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform for display of pre-configured BI reports
- MS Windows remote desktop for easy access of the trial system
3. & 4. are optional components in SAP CAL (you can opt out of the deployment in the advanced mode of the SAP CAL instance creation) and are also not shipped to customers for the on-premise installation.
[Fig. 6]: Software components of the appliance and virtual machines
More information & known issues
This presentation provides more information about the appliance. And the appendix below lists all assets that might be relevant in this context.
One important note at the end:
Once you have created an appliance instance (be it hosted or on-premise), it behaves like a regular on-premise system.
And this means that SAP cannot access or patch your appliance instance but you have to solve issues on your own.
This blog summarizes the known issues and provides fixing hints where available. It will be continuously updated. May the fix be with you…
Best and enjoy the SAP S/4HANA 1610 appliance,
Appendix: Link collection
Software appliance in general:
- Overview presentation for the appliance
- Blog with known issues in the appliance
- Video playlist how to create an AWS account and launch the appliance in SAP CAL
- Central SAP note for the SAP S/4HANA 1610 appliance (2396478, containing latest information for on-premise installation)
- SAP Best Practices for SAP S/4HANA 1610
- SAP S/4HANA 1610 trial landing page (including quick-start and demo guide)
On-premise download / Blu-Ray shipment:
- Ordering process for SAP partners (2041140)
- Ordering process for SAP customers (2202234)
- Latest version of on-premise deployment guide (2396478)
SAP CAL information:
- SAP CAL Console
- SCN Community for SAP CAL (also for support for CAL issues)
- How to acquire an SAP CAL subscription (and other CAL business questions)
- For SAP employees only: How to get an SAP internal CAL account and attach it to your cost center