- The theme fallback mechanism checks if a theme can be applied to an application and selects a fallback theme if the specified theme is not valid.
- Whether a given theme is supported by an application depends on the underlying UI technology and its version. The theme fallback mechanism automatically detects a valid theme for an application. A default fallback chain of SAP standard themes is used by the fallback mechanism. In addition, you can define a chain of custom themes as fallback themes. Refer to Theme Fallback .
- You would like to define/create a fallback portal theme using UI Theme Designer in a new LESS mode structure Portal, which could be used later in a circumstance of current theme is not valid for application to be rendered for example.
- This blog introduces you with the detail steps of how to create fallback theme in detail.
Define fallback theme for an existing custom theme:
- Log On Portal using administrator user and Launch the UI Theme Designer: Content Administration -> Portal Display -> Portal Themes -> UI Theme Designer.
- From “Filter Themes”-> All, select the custom theme(e.g. custom_standard) for which you want to create a fallback theme. Then click on “Edit Properties” button on the right pane.
- On opened properties window, fill in the exact Theme ID(e.g. custom_bluecrystal) for property “Fallback Theme ID” for the theme(e.g. custom_standard) you want to set a fallback theme for.
- Click on ” OK” button. And now Theme custome_bluecrystal is fallback of Theme custom_standard.
Define fallback theme for a new custom theme:
- Select a SAP standard theme(e.g. sap_bluecrystal) that displayed in the list from “Filter Themes”-> All and click on “Open” button.
- Perform customizing on the theme as you like. Refer to help link for more detail.
- Click on “Theme” at left up corner and select option “Save & Build”.
- On opened window, enter the Theme ID(e.g. custom_standard) for property “Fallback Theme ID” as the new Theme ID to be saved. Meanwhile, you are able to see “custom_bluecrystal_3” will be automatically filled in for property “Theme ID”.
- Click on “Save & Build” button and you will get a progress bar showing the build progress running.
- Click on “OK” button after you see a complete message.
- Now theme (e.g. custom_standard) is fallback of theme (e.g. custom_bluecrystal_3).