Please not take my opinion seriously if you think in opposite way. However I can’t keep calm anymore.
During 8 years of my SAP ABAP life SDN was a main tool for learning something new. I explored the certain topics I was intersted in, spent much time on reading and answering different issues.
Just with a short glance of the community main page I saw featured info, top blogs and questions in the scope of the current context, for example ABAP or UI5.
However recently SAP decided to improve the UX and provided new community. I don’t say it’s bad. New material design looks modern and the overall expression is good but… they destroyed the community. Now it’s just a blog of SAP employees where nobody can’t find anything.
Instead of extening the existing tool SDN was replaced entirely!
Let me please give a feedback.
Speaking about positive changes to me it’s:
- Fresh design ( not the UX )
- Mobile support
I think that’s the all about good things here. Now what’s really important is a total regression in UX:
- The navigation is terrible! You had to make rather more steps to find the information
- The idea of any comminty is collaboration. You killed it. Yes, I can easily ask a question. But how can I see other questions? Almost impossible to read the list of problems in the scope of the theme.
- Any comminity page now looks like some static SAP marketing slide. Let’s review as a example the following page: https://go.sap.com/community/topic/ui5.html The UI5 community is supposed to be a central place where all UI5 developers meet together. And what we see instead:
- Seriously! Is it what I want to see? The list of moderators in the middle of the screen? Sliced annoying featured content – that has nothing common with the real featured content!
- But where are blogs? scroll down! Notice – you have to scroll! And to see the featured content every time. There is no control to navigate to the blogs section directly.
- Perfect – we are here. What do we see? 3!!! 3 recent posts on the whole screen. There is no way to see really important and most liked blogs – If someone decides to say some BLA-BLA-BLA – everyone sees it and skips the important and most discussed topics!
- If you are not satisfied with the suggestion list you can click this magic button, that deserves a separete post. (https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/getting-started/principles/)
- But where are questions? Do you remember? Community – people should help each other..
- Of course you should scroll again! Do it!
As a result we have a useless page instead of dashboard-like sdn clasic page. Nobody never will use this version of the community to anwer questions. Now I understand why Stackoverflow becomes more and more important for UI5 developers to discuss problems.
That was SAP goal? To get rid of the flood discussions about the code issues?
If you agree with me and you wish to have the classic SDN back, please like my post and vote the idea: https://ideas.sap.com/D38602 . Let’s fight for the real UX together, mates =)