For general information, download link, operating system and hardware requirements see the Developer Edition to Download: Introduction page.
Installation Instructions and First Steps
Network configuration of the SAP host operating system: The officially supported setup requires a static IP address for the hostname used for the SAP installation. Using DHCP is possible for this developer edition, but be aware of potential consequences. If our installation cannot ping the hostname specified when installing, the installation and startup of the SAP system will fail. Make sure that the hostname specified during installation fulfills SAP requirements, most importantly that it does not exceed 13 characters length and also needs to survive subsequent reboots.
Firewall: Deactivate the firewall.
Additional software requirement
The following software packages are required:
- csh – Ubuntu and Debian require you to install csh before you start the ABAP installation
- libaio – SAP Sybase ASE requires the libaio library to start the installation
- 32bit libraries – SAP Management Console (SAPMC) requires 32bit libraries (ia32,glibc.i686) for ASE related functionalities
- uuidd – SAP AS ABAP requires the OS to run uuidd service to ensure the uniqueness of GUIDs. For more information – eg on why this is extremely important – please see archive thread 3379688: Is it mandatory to have uuidd for SAP installation
- English – SAP AS ABAP requires that you configure English (LANG=en_US.UTF-8) as the operating system language
- Login as root (sudo). You need to have the password of the root user at hand, as the installation needs root privileges.
- Ensure that you (as superuser) have the necessary executable rights:
chmod +x install.sh
- Extract downloaded archive: unzip archive.zip. Make the extracted download archive available on the server.
- Go into the root directory of the extracted archive.
- Run the installation, using the command: sudo ./install.sh
(We provide you with several installation options:
- ./install.sh – installs the Developer Edition in dark mode, the installer will configure the SAP system for usage of the physical hostname
- ./install.sh -g– will present you a SAPINST GUI allowing you to modify certain system parameters
- ./install.sh -h <own hostname>– allows you to specify your own hostname to be used by the SAP system
- ./install.sh -s – allows you to skip the hostname check )
- Read and accept the license agreement.
- When prompted for a password, enter your master password of the virtual Linux OX instance twice.
(All options prompt you for a master password. Please ensure that the password length exceeds 7 characters, contains capital letters and digits but does not contain special characters. The installation starts the database and server.)
The installation will take a while (about 20 minutes – feel free to get a coffee).
If the installation was successful, you should see the following message:
- Instance on host vhcalnplci started
- Installation of NPL successful
Client installation (optional)
If you have already a SAP GUI installation you can connect to your sytem. If not go ahead now with the client installation. SAP GUI space in SDN SAP GUI | SCN leads you to more documentation around SAP GUI for Java Environment. Requirements for the SAP GUI for Java include: Sun Java SE 6 32-bit or 64-bit, a properly installed Java Plugin and C++ runtime libstdc++.so.6.
ABAP Plugins for Eclipse
Go to the SCN space ABAP in Eclipse where you will find download links and tutorials.
Adapt the following profile parameters:
- icm/host_name_full = $(SAPLOCALHOST).dummy.nodomain
- PHYS_MEMSIZE = 30%
- Start the SAP system:
- Switch to user npladm with default password Appl1ance in the console : su npladm
- Start the SAP system : startsap ALL
- Log on to the system, client 000 as user SAP* with default password Appl1ance. In transaction SLICENSE , ascertain your hardware key.
- Request the license key for your trial version at SAP Sneak Preview License Key Request.
- Select NPL – SAP NetWeaver 7.x (Sybase ASE) as System ID.
- Enter your personal data and agree to the License Agreement.
- Choose Generate bottom right corner of screen.)
- The web site automatically generates a .txt file for this system/key. Download and save this file, eg on the desktop for convenience.
- Go to transaction SLICENSE and install the license file:
- In the tab Digitally signed licenses, delete the existing license, then choose Install. This opens the text file you got and installs the new license key.
- IMPORTANT: If you log on with the user DEVELOPER, then the first time you create an object, you will be asked for a user key. Enter the following key exactly: 35408798513176413512.
Please note that all the above steps must be carried out; otherwise, the above user key will not work.
The system type changes to Demo. You can now explore the demo scenarios and develop using the ABAP tools in Eclipse and new features like the core data services or SAPUI5 UIs.
Make the following proxy settings:
Administering the SAP NW ABAP 7.5 Developer Edition
Starting and stopping the server
With the user npladm you can start and stop the server using the terminal commands startsap and stopsap respectively or the newer sap control commands.I
Directories and Users
The installation creates following directories and users:
|/sapmnt||~ 2 GB|
|/sybase||~ 50 GB|
|/usr/sap||~ 3 GB|
Created Users on OS level
The installation creates following users on OS level. During the installation you are prompted to enter the master password.
|sapadm||master password||Created by SAP hostagent|
|npladm||master password||SAP System Administrator|
|sybnpl||master password||SAP Database Administrator|
The installed system provides the following database users:
|SAPSR3||Appl1ance||SAP Schema User|
The installed system provides the following SAP users in client 000:
|DDIC||Appl1ance||Data Dictionary User|
The installed system provides the following SAP users in client 001:
|DDIC||Appl1ance||Data Dictionary User|
If you ever want to uninstall your server, proceed as follows:
- Delete the created directories
- Delete the OS users
- Delete the added lines in /etc/services (should be the last lines beginning with sap* and sql6* respectively)
- Delete the line containing nplhost in /etc/hosts
- Delete the symbolic link S99_nplhost.sh in the directory /etc/init.d/rc3.d in case of SUSE or /etc/rc3.d in case of Red Hat
- Restart your network.
We encourage you to visit our SCN ABAP community.
In case of Linux problems read the Linux FAQ.
Post your comments to the introduction page.