Brave New World
I have been exploring this new community since its official opening last week and, for the moment, I do not know what to make of it. I don’t want to say that I am unhappy because I am still trying to find my way around.
Actually, this is my first gripe: I cannot find my way around! It is like being welcomed in a brand new building but there are few signs up to point you in the right direction. And the hallways are huge!
Let me get some help. There goes someone.
– Hey, some help please? I am new around here.
– What can I do for you?
– Over there.
– Got it.
– That ‘ll be “Questions and answers”, sir. Over there.
– Got it.
– My Profile? That way, sir.
– Ah. A little simplified…
– Ah, very important. Spaces?
– We use tags now, sir.
– and the spaces I followed?
– I’m sorry but they are no more. You’ll have to rebuild in the new tag system and it is not necessarily one-to-one.
– Hem, I am happy to answer all your queries, but did you follow the big yellow sign “Get started”? You’ll find everything you need there to help you make the transition.
– Ah, yes. Can’t believe I did not see that!
OK, so I followed that and read up on the changes that have been made.
But I still do not feel at home in this new community the way I felt in SDN.
I know what the problem is. I am missing some things I was used to before.
Actually, I can resume it in one sentence: I miss the quantity of information I used to get on SDN.
Look at the landing page(Did anybody save a screenshot of the old SDN?). We had some highlighted news in the carousel. Then we had other posts highlighted, divided into groups by type.
There was a lot on that landing page, but it was OK. It was just this side of information overload.
Same with the spaces and the activity stream. The posts, related spaces, trending comments… All the news that’s fit to print, err, display.
Now, if we stick to the building analogy we have great big new hallways hallways hallways. Oops, echo.
It’s a little like: “Hi, c’mon in. We just moved in but have not had time to put anything on the walls. We’ll get our paintings and posters up real soon.”
As I said before, I am still getting familiar with the community. So I should soon find my way around better and my opinion will improve.
I have had SDN open in my browser every day for years, and I will do the same with the new community. I will learn more from it and am confident that the necessary improvements will be made for it to become a better experience for us all.
P.S. I could not find a better place to post than Coffee corner. Hope its OK.