Best Practices for Editing and Creating Content for Read Access Logging Delivered by SAP
Content for read access logging (RAL) is delivered as part of support packages or new releases, either directly as part of SAP NetWeaver (SAP_BASIS, SAP_ABA) or from solutions. As the delivery class of the RAL tables is Customizing (“C”), content delivered by support package is imported only into client 000. During import, new entries are created, changed entries are adjusted, and deleted entries are removed.
RAL content includes the following objects:
- Logging purposes
- Log domains
The purpose of this article is to provide best practices for using RAL content in your customizing client; either your own content or the content delivered by SAP. These best practices ensure that when you import new content from SAP into your customizing clients, you do not overwrite this modified content or your own content.
Tips for Creating and Editing RAL Content in a Client Other Than 000
We recommend the following naming conventions, because there are no technical checks available. Naming conventions enable you to search for your own content and provide some overwrite protection against content delivered by SAP through support packages.
Choose a letter as a prefix, such as the well-known customer namespace Y or Z, for all objects that you create or modify. The following is a list of places where you can add this prefix:
- In the name of the business area of the log domain
- In the ID of the logging purpose
- In the name of the recording
- For existing recordings and configurations, in the description fields
Transporting Delivered RAL Content to Specific Clients
RAL content delivered by SAP is available in client 000 of the system where the support package was imported. To make this RAL content available to other clients and systems, export it from client 000 and import it into your customizing client using the special RAL export and import feature:
- Open SRALMANAGER in your customizing client, choose “Configuration”, and search for your new and modified RAL content.
- To get an idea of the differences, open SRALMANAGER in client 000 in a new window, choose “Configuration”, and compare the content with the new and modified content in your customizing client.
- In client 000, select the configurations to be executed for every RAL channel and choose “Export”.
Related log domains, purposes, recordings are exported as well.
- Import this export file into your customizing development client. In the customizing development client, choose “Import”.
- During the file import, the system shows you which configurations are new (green icon) and which will be overwritten (yellow).
- Check the yellow configurations before finishing the import, as the previously existing configurations will be overwritten. Note that manual adjustments might be needed.
- Activate the desired configurations per channel to enable RAL. Select the desired configurations and choose “Activate”. Note that RAL configurations are shipped inactive.
If you have enabled automatic recording of customizing (transaction SCC4) in your customizing client, the imported RAL configurations are recorded and added to a transport request. Otherwise, add all new and changed RAL objects to a transport request.
- To move the configurations to your productive landscape, release your transport.
For more information about Read Access Logging, see Read Access Logging (RAL).