Maintenance planner supports planning of new installations on a chosen stack level. Maintenance Planner significantly simplifies the installation process by eliminating the steps of system registration and a separate system update planning during installation. With Maintenance Planner, you can generate a consolidated stack configuration file which allows you to install and later update your system at the chosen SPS level. Maintenance Planner allows you to select target software level and push archives to the download basket in a single step. Simplified process is offered for ABAP & Java systems.
This document explains the process with Maintenance Planner comparing the existing process with the new improved process.
Planning New System Installation with Maintenance Planner
Figure 1: New, improved process followed for a new installation and update.
Installation process with Maintenance Planner offers following advantages:
- A single place for the customer to define his target for installation.
- Simplified process allowing users to generate consolidated stack.xml for planned landscape changes without registering the system in SAP Solution Manager.
Existing Process to Reach the Target Software Level
Figure 2: Current process followed
Improved Process for New System Installation along with the Involved Tools
Figure 3: Up-To-Date Installation
- In Maintenance Planner, the IT Administrator plans, validates and generates stack XML and media files are later consumed by Software Logistic tools, such as the Software Provisioning Manager (SWPM) and Software Update Manager (SUM) for accomplishing the planned landscape changes.
- Software Provisioning Manager consumes the generated stack XML.
- Standard post-installation activities need to be completed before you use SUM .
- SUM consumes the same stack.xml to update the system with the selected service packs (SPs) or add-ons.
To start using enhanced functionality, SAP Note 1940845 needs to be implemented in the SAP Solution Manager system.
Planning Installation with Maintenance Planner
Example: The IT administrator wants to install a SAP NetWeaver 7.4 ABAP system with Application Server ABAP on the latest Support Package stack, including an add-on SAP Liquidity Risk Management 1.1.
Perform the following steps:
- Go to the Product Availability Matrix at https://service.sap.com/pam and search for the Product Version ‘SAP Liquidity Risk Management 1.1’.
- Check the required Product Version for SAP Liquidity Risk Management 1.1, which is SAP NetWeaver 7.4.
- In Maintenance Planner, plan a new installation by selecting the current Product Version (SAP NetWeaver 7.4) and then updating over an add-on.
In the home page of Maintenance Planner, click Plan a New System tile
Figure 4: Maintenance Planner home page
In the maintenance cycle screen, click Plan to start planning new system installation.
Figure 5: Planning new installation in Maintenance Planner
Follow the 4-step procedure, starting with Define target. Enter SID for the new system and select target software level details.
Figure 6: Target Software details selection in Maintenance Planner
Select Support Package stack and click confirm selection.
Figure 7: Product version and Support package stack selection
At this stage you can choose to install additional software or proceed to complete the planning process. The above steps can be repeated any number of times to install additional software. The stack.xml file generated at the end of the planning process contains the metadata of all the planned actions.
Select Install or Maintain Add-on to select Add-on to be installed.
Figure 8: Additional software selection
Select the Add-on, Support Package stack and click Confirm Selection.
Figure 9: Selection and confirmation of target software details
Click Next to move to the next stage of the installation planning process.
Figure 10: Confirmation of target software details
Select OS/DB dependent files to be added to the download basket and click Confirm Selection.
Figure 11: OS/DB dependent files selection
Select Stack Dependent and Independent files and click Next.
Figure 12: Stack dependent and independent files selection
Click Push to Download Basket to download the archives from SAP Service Marketplace.
Figure 13: Pushing archives to the download basket
Download the installation consolidate stack XML by clicking Download Stack XML
Figure 14: Downloading stack XML
Click Next. You can find the link to the initial installation media towards the end of the maintenance plan.
Figure 15: Downloading installation media from Service Market Place
At this stage, you can complete the planing process by clicking Set to Complete.
Figure 16: Completion of planning activities in Maintenance Planner
The link in Maintenance Plan would direct to SAP Service Marketplace to download the related media files.
Figure 16: Link from Maintenance Plan directed to SAP Service Market Place for the media download.
Consuming Generated stack XML and Media Files by Software Logistics Tools
Download the related Software Provisioning Manager version out of the Download Basket, follow the recommendations of SAP Note 1680045.
Follow the guide to install your system – especially consider the instructions for installations using a stack configuration file.
Refer to the installation guide for Software Provision Manager at: https://service.sap.com/instguides
Start Software Provisioning Manager with the parameter SAPINST_STACK_XML=<absolute path>
UNIX / IBM i:
In the Welcome screen, you get installation options filtered according to your stack XML file:
Figure 17: Software Provisioning Manager home screen
After the successful completion of the installation, follow the instructions provided in Post-Installation section of the installation guide to complete the configuration. For more information, see https://service.sap.com/instguides. Based on the OS and DB requirements, choose the installation guide:
Figure 18: Post installation steps in the installation guide.
Executing Update Activities
Start Software Update Manager and provide the generated stack.xml file to complete the update activity.
Figure 19: Home screen of SUM (Software Update Manager)
Executing Post-Update Activities
At https://service.sap.com/instguides, select the guide for the product for which you have completed the update activity.
Choose the Upgrade and Update Guide and select the stack applicable for the system.
Follow the instructions provided in the guide to complete the update process.
- About Maintenance Planner: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-65243
- About SUM: http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/software-logistics/blog/2012/11/07/software-update-manager-sum-introducing-the-tool-for-software-maintenance
- About Software Provisioning Manager : http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-30236
- Planning Landscape Changes – A Best Practice Guide