SAP Business Explorer (SAP BEx) – Maintenance and Support Policy
For all SAP Business Explorer customers that are interested in the future of BEx, here is what you need to know:
M A I N T E N A N C E
BEx 7.x continues to be supported with BW 7.50.
Please note that there are no new features developed.
Customers moving to SAP BW/4HANA from SAP BW should transition their SAP BEx reports and applications to SAP Analytics.
SAP recommends to use SAP Lumira (as of release 2.0 incl. SAP BO Design Studio) and Analysis Office if customers would like to continue with on-premise BI Clients who have similar functionality as BEx 7.x. In case customer would like to leverage cloud based BI Client environment, SAP recommends SAP Analytics Cloud.
To allow customers a parallel approach to complete the conversion project, SAP plans to support the temporary use of the existing BEx Web Applications through a dedicated pilot program. The pilot program is planned for SAP BW/4HANA 1.0 SP 6 or higher. Exclusively available with the In-Place Conversion (Chapter 188.8.131.52.) to SAP BW/4HANA (Support for a limited time until end of 2022. -For more detailed list of limitations and deployment options, please see the SAP Note 2496706)
Please be aware that while those products have similar functionality as BEx they are not legal successors.
There is no 100% feature parity.
Where to go from BEx Analyzer (Excel) 7.x
- Most used capabilities of BEx Analyzer are available in Analysis Office 2.x (or planned)
- Conversion support of BEx workbooks to Analysis Office is available
- Consulting Service for Migration to Analysis for Office / BEx 7.0: https://blogs.sap.com/2017/07/12/automated-mass-migrationconvertion-of-bex-workbook-to-ao-2.x/
- Analysis Office can run with or without SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform (some features like scheduling, however, require BI Platform)
- You can install BEx and Analysis Office on a single PC
- Only one add-in can be active in an Excel session (in other words, either BEx or Analysis Office can be active)
- Opening a BEx workbook activates the BEx Add-In.
Where to go from BEx Query Designer 7.x?
All capabilities of BEx Query Designer are available as part of the BW Modeling Tools.
BEx Query Designer can still be used with SAP BW 7.5 but is not supported with SAP BW/4HANA.
Using the BW Modeling Tools with SAP BW 7.4 or 7.5 is optional.
In SAP BW/4HANA, all queries are created and maintained using the BW Modeling Tools.
When transitioning from SAP BW to SAP BW/4HANA, all BW queries will be automatically migrated.
Since April 2013 BEx 3.5 is in customer-specific maintenance and not available anymore with the standard SAP GUI compilation.
For more details, see SAP Note:
Please note that BEx 3.5 (design-time and runtime) is not supported for use with SAP NetWeaver BW 7.4 or higher.
For more details, see SAP Note
You can find a “Cookbook for Migration to BEx 7.0” in SAP Note 1807522 – BEx 3.5 Objects Migration to BEx 7.0 but SAP recommends instead of moving to BEx 7.x to move to SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio, Lumira (as of release 2.0) and Analysis Office.