|NLS Performance||NLS Partnersolutions||Additional Blogs||Blog Comments|
Improve decision-making capabilities by bringing unprecedented performance to SAP Business Warehouse with SAP HANA for current data and SAP IQ for historical data – achieving the perfect balance of cost and performance. The adapter for SAP IQ as a near-line solution is delivered with the BW system. The Integration of SAP IQ makes it possible for you to separate data that you access frequently from data that you access rarely, thus making less demand on the resources in the BW system. The near-line data is stored in compressed form. You can thus reduce the costs incurred by data that is accessed less frequently.
With the current Release of SAP BW 7.40 Feature Pack 02 (based on 7.40 SP08) some interesting improvements and updates were released for the SAP-NLS Solution based on SAP IQ SP10. Also including the latest SAP-NLS Features for SAP BW 7.50 and 7.50 SR1 (based on 7.50 SP04)
Please Note that the SAP-NLS Solution can be used with all supported database version supported by SAP BW 7.3x and onwards. Together with NLS Partnersolutions, Nearline storage for SAP BW can also be enabled from SAP BW 7.0x releases onwards.
Overview and Roadmap
- SAP-NLS Solution – Update Q1/2017
- SAP BW NLS – frequently ask questions
- SAP IQ 16.x Road Map Update Q4/2017
Find the SAP IQ as a Near-Line Storage Solution on the SAP online documentation:
- Configuring SAP IQ as a Near-Line Storage Solution
- SAP IQ as a Near-Line Storage Solution
- Why SAP IQ?
- SAP IQ | Community
- SAP IQ 16 Hardware sizing Guide
Installation and Implementation
Notes for Installation and Implementation
- Note 1737415 – SAP IQ: Enable remote/secondary connect to SAP IQ
- Note 1796393 – SAP BW near-line solution with SAP IQ
- Note 1999431 – SIQ: Setting up SSL for connections to IQ
- Note 2133194 – Can SAP IQ run in a cloud environment?
A How to Paper, How to start with DAP in SAP BW:
How to Archive Data from SAP BW to SAP IQ as Near Line Storage
Additional Information can also be found in the Blog Section
SAP Help: Creating Data Archiving Processes
Since SAP BW on HANA 7.50 SP04 Hadoop as NLS Storage is possible as well.
Note 2363218 – Hadoop NLS: Information, Recommendations and Limitations
SAP Help: Hadoop as a Near-Line Storage Solution
Blog: Apache Hadoop as NLS solution for BW/HANA – Part 1 – Part 2 – Part 3
Optimizing the SAP-NLS Performance
BLOG: Increasing the SAP-NLS Performance
BLOG: SAP BW on SAP HANA & SAP HANA Smart Data Access
BLOG: Monitoring Nearline Storage Tables and Partitions from BW
BLOG: SAP Sybase IQ 16 sets Guinness World Record with 34.3TB per hour for Big Data Loading
NLS Partner Solutions
Please note that the Partner Interface for Nearline Storage is only supported in SAP BW and is not available in BW/4HANA (SAP NLS IQ and SAP NLS Hadoop are supported). See also the SAP-NLS Roadmap referenced above for more information.
Currently no NLS Partner Solution is available for BW/4HANA under no further notice.
- Note 1025273 – Near-line interface: Technical documentation
- Note 2320378 – Near-line Interface version 1.11 (SAP_BW 7.50 SP05)
- Certified partners for Nearline Storage
- Note 1405664 – DB6: Near-Line Storage Impl. (Supplementary Note)
- Note 1834310 – DB6: Use of DB2 BLU Acceleration with DB2 Near-Line Storage
- Note 2353001 – DB6: NLS Impl – Changes in the Interface IF_RSDA_NEARLINE_CONNECTION
- New PBS – New NLS Solution for SAP BW under SAP IQ
- PBS Solution for migration to SAP NLS IQ – new
- PBS – CBW for SAP NLS with IQ
- PBS Nearline Analytic Infrastructure
- DataVard – NLS Solution OUTBOARD
- DataVard – BENCHMARKING OF SAP BW NLS SOLUTIONS
- Note 2201399 – Problems in BW when using the NLS implementation by DataVard OutBoard
Blogs (refer to other publications on the NLS community)
- Data Warehousing Terminology – “Jump Start”
- How to Perform the HANA Archiving Process
- Reporting on NLS (Near-Line Storage) Archive
- Print real backup filenames with SAP NLS events
- HANA composite provider (HCPR): Practical Tips
- Data Archiving for SAP Business Planning and Consolidation 11.0, version for SAP BW/4HANA
Roland Kramer, PM EDW (BW/HANA/IQ), SAP SE