First steps in SAP Community
It’s my first day on our “new home” and I think it’s worth sharing my experience and learning so far.
(As – I guess – most of us do, I have an SCN background).
What I did so far:
– looking around in general.
– added a picture
– Writing a blog post: https://blogs.sap.com/2016/10/10/first-steps-new-commnity…./
– get an “alert moderation” for it (but I would not have known, hadn’t https://people.sap.com/oliver
told me so in the comments.)
– read about how to report bugs: http://go.sap.com/community/about/support.html
earlier I had read a blog post with the same content – I knew it back from SCN, and did manage to find it here in the SAP Community using the search (it was called something like “How to report bugs on the new platform”); when searching again, I didn’t find it.
But now doing yet another search with the title I just mentioned, I found it again: https://blogs.sap.com/2016/10/05/reporting-bugs-and-providing-feedback-after-go-live
– Using the Q+A: https://answers.sap.com/questions/27722/bug-notification-counter-is-not-reset.html
– “Accepting” an answer
– closing the question
– Answering a Question about how I like Q+A: https://answers.sap.com/questions/27325/what-do-you-think-about-our-new-qa-platform.html
– re-tagging of some old blogs
– Submit some Ideas in Idea Place
– 1st time, I wrote an answer to a Non-Platform(Using SAP.com)-Question
Things I found out:
– SCN had the very cool feature, that when you pasted an SCN-URL, (e.g. a blog or a profile link), it would automatically change the link to the respective title. This didn’t work in Q&A ( https://answers.sap.com/) but Blogs ( https://blogs.sap.com/ ) seems to have a similar feature, providing a preview of a blog-Link (see above at”Writing a blog post” Update: I got a preview earlier (when writing), but now it seems to be gone?!).
– In Q+A you can “answer” and “comment”, those seem not to be the same things.
– you do have up/down-vote buttons on your own comments, however, when you click them, you get a message you can’t vote on your own content.
– The blog editor gives a “Word count” – don’t know what that could be used for (maybe set yourself a goal to stop at 1000 Words or something?)
Using the Link-Button in the editor, in one place (Q+A) I can insert links and give it a name, here in Blogs it seems to just create a clickable link out of the URL, I can’t give the link a name diffrent from. I can do it here, too to but I have to click on “link options”.
– Q+A and Blogs seem to be (and I think that was communicated as well) different pieces of software – I’m not soure how well that fits to “one digital expereince?!”
-Likes on Blog-Comments have not been migrated.
– Deleting an answer is very fast: 1. click 2. it’s gone! (no “are you sure?” or anything!)
– You can re-publish moderated Blogs yourself (after you fixed them).
Things I like:
– How I can “save” a blog and get a preview of it
– That I can continue adding content to a “closed” question.
– The people here are the same as on SCN (I guess).
– I can now copy something to notepad to remove all the formatting, then copy it back (in SCN this would set the font size to “really, really small”!)
Things I dislike
– That I can’t publish a blog I just saved from the preview.
– how the “header line” does not stay on the top of the screen but vanishes, when I scroll down – is this supposed to be like that (on a Desktop)?
– When editing a Blog, I usually also give a “Editorial comment”
1. they seem not to be connected to the versions at all (it would be nice if the revision of a version would also give it’s editorial comment
2. if I just click “update” my editorial comment is gone! 🙁 I have to first click “respond to this post”, then on “update” to save both.
– I can only “accept” one answer to a Question?! Ther is no way to somehow mark other helpfull answers!?
Things I’d like to know:
– Some statistics: What kind of users use the new community? How many are from SCN? How many came here without beeing migrated from SCN? Logins per day/total, Blogs, Questions, Comments and so on posted by each of those groups.
– in Q+A, the fact that you can up-and downvote answers (and people will sort answers by those votes) will change the style you give multiple replies to a question: instead of putting them all in one reply, you should create one answer per content-item, right?
– when will be the first time, I see a user with no lagacy reputation (-> a “native” SAP Community User)?
So far for my first experiences – I plan to update this blog when I find out or do more!
This is the first day, so it is bound to be riddled with bugs, despite all the testing that has taken place. That is normal for software, to be expected.
I have found the performance to be terrible compared to what went before.
I also published a blog, the positive is that once again you are able to cut and paste from word (that was possible in the version of SCN before the last). The “preview” function did not work at all.
I notice the avatar photographs and biography were not migrated from SCN.
I do like the fact the blogs come up in a sensible order i.e. newest first.
In total, nothing too drastic seems to be wrong, I am sure the vast bulk of teething problems will be gone in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner.
PS All the formatting vanishes after you post a comment e.g. spaces between paragraphs.
nice overview! It would be great if some months from now you could come back to this blog and update it with your new view (if you have one then, of course ^^).
I have some ideas/answers for you:
“– Q+A and Blogs seem to be (and I think that was communicated as well) different pieces of software – I’m not soure how well that fits to “one digital expereince?!”
One DX is for the login-part. But it was always written that the new SCN would be a best-of-breed thing, using different applications for the different content types. But the best fitted for the job, so to speak. So this is in line with what was communicated.
“– I can only “accept” one answer to a Question?! Ther is no way to somehow mark other helpfull answers!?”
On the old SCN you could also only mark one answer as the correct one and then others as “helpful”. Here you vote those answers up, you deem helpful. And the “accept answer” is the equivalent to “correct answer”. At least that’s how I understand it.
You have some really good ideas in there, that could be really helpful to others. Have you thought about putting the feedback, that does not look like a bug to you, into the new idea place for the new community?
There are some ideas I’d surely vote up.
Thanks a lot for your feedback, Steffi!
(As you already have noticed 🙂 ) I took a few of the things I dislike to the Idea Place with a suggestion how to make them better!
News from my Blog that got reported:
Today I have 3 items (same time) in my stream:
Your post My first steps in the new commnity…. has been set by a moderator to ‘needs more work’.
[Avatar of the Moderator]
A new editorial comment was posted for My first steps in the new commnity….. Click here to access the new comment
[Avatar of the person reporting]
Your content My first steps in the new commnity…. has been reviewed by a moderator since it does not fullfill the communitys rules of engagement.
…and the link to the blog now ends up on “It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching can help.” … I’ll fiel a bug for that.
Today I got a message "Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!" .
(when I hit F5, indeed my comment was allready posted, so i guess it's usefull...)
have to note that down somewhere:
Thats the link to Blogs tagged with Coffee Corner (it was said in the begining, that this (usig that tag for blogs) would/should not be possible)
I stumbled over it a few days agao and today (re-)found it by seachring for "site:blogs.sap.com coffee"
recent, un-answerd questions on S/4HANA