I have been working with S4HANA since the beginning of 2016 and have implemented couple of projects. I am also aware that several customers are kick starting their S4HANA transformation with 1610.
SAP has covered the features of 1610 at TechEd 2016 and continued with several session at Sapphire 2017.The next version 1709 is due in September 2017.
Here is the link to the 1610 Highlights (recording) hosted by ASUG on 29th Sep and presented by Carl Dubler, SAP, Director of Product Marketing for SAP S/4HANA. The first part of the webinar covers some of the Fiori 2.0 features and the last part shows some of the 1610 simplifications and innovations. The presentation is also attached to the link for quick reference.
Scope of 1610
Key 1610 features and my PoV:
- PPDS embedded into S/4HANA. Companies can continue to run APO as a side-by-side system.
- eWM embedded into S/4HANA. Some Retail, Distribution and LSPs will always continue to run EWM as a stand alone system (due to business and volume needs)
- Advance Available to Promise through new ABAP code push down.
- Simplification of Portfolio and Project Management for S4HANA
- Bringing the full scope of Oil & Gas downstream functions and Retail to 1610.
- PLM embedded into S/4HANA
- Integrated Quality Management
- Entire S/4HANA Finance now included in scope of 1610. There is no need to go with 1503 or 1605 S/4HANA Finance anymore. This includes merging of Central Finance capabilities within S/4HANA core.
- New Fiori apps for Sales Order and Contract management
- Fiori2.0 bring some new innovations.
Here is a list of best documents and links to understand S/4HANA in details:
- Please start by reading the Feature Scope Document first.
- The Simplification Guide is a must read and all. This SCN blog provides an easy start to the simplification guide.
- The next most important piece of information is in Best Practice guide which can be found on the best practice explorer or on Service Market Place (SMP)
- Finally review the Innovation Discovery Portal. This has a list of all innovations and some are delivered with 1610 (Thanks Somnath Manna & Monika Patel) and other will be delivered in future releases.
- Help Portal for all the rest of the documentation and online help.
- #S4HANA 1610 Release information on one page