SAP Data Services 4.2 SP7 Upgrade steps
The purpose of this document is to up-grade SAP Business Objects Data Services from 4.2 SP6 Patch 2 to SAP Data Services 4.2 SP7
Operating system: Windows Server 2008 64 Bit
Database: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 R2
Web Application: Tomcat 8
SAP Business Objects Tools: SAP Business Objects Information Platform Services 4.1 SP4, SAP Data Services 4.2 SP7
Migration Tools: Data Services Repository Manager
Repository version: BODI 11.7 or BODS 3.X or BODS 4.X
Installation & Configuration steps to upgrade SAP BODS 3.X/4.X to SAP BODS 4.2 SP7:
Pre Installation Check List:
- Backup of repositories, configuration files & Data Cleanse files:
- Create a Check list of Number of Batch Jobs/Real Time Jobs, Number of Access Server, Number of Job Server & Configuration Path (Datastore) of Source & Target Systems
- Create a Check list of Jobs Scheduling in SAP Business Objects Data Services Management Console
- Create a Check list of Groups & Users Available in SAP Business Objects Data Services Management Console
- Backup of Local, Profile & Central Repository
- Backup of Following Configuration Files:
- Backup of Data Cleanse Files
Post Installation Check List:
- Installation of EIM(Enterprise Information Management) or IPS(Information Platform Services) Package in New Landscape
- Installation of SAP BODS 4.2 SP07
- Installation & Configuration of Address Cleansing Package 4.2
- Best Practices says use the same Data base that you have use in SAP BODS 4.x make a cloned copy and Use in SAP BODS 4.2 SP07 environment
- Up-gradation of Local /Central repository Using Data Services Repository Manager
- Configuration of Repository in EIM or IPS (Package Name) Central management Console.
- Configuration of SAP RFC in Data Services Management Console 4.2 SP07
- Configuration of Adapters in Data Services Management Console 4.2 SP07
- Apply Rights & Security according to your requirement in BIM or IPS (Package Name) Central management Console
- Now Login in SAP BODS Designer 4.2 SP07 and configure Jobs (Real Time/Batch Jobs)
- Configuration of Datastore (SAPR3,SAP BW, RDBMS), Substitution Parameters, Job Server, Access Server, Format Data Type (Flat Files, CSV)
- Now validate the Jobs at Top Level and if error comes fix those errors
- Now Execute the Jobs using Scheduler or other BI Tools
SAP Business Objects Information Platform Services 4.x SPxx Installation & Configuration Documents:
Product Infrastructure Dependency:
Data Services (DS) requires SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) or Information Platform Services (IPS) for security capability. The table below shows the BI/IPS version and the corresponding compatible version of Data Services.
SAP Data Services 4.2 PAM – Data Services for SAP BusinessObjects Edge Products [2/2]:-
SAP BusinessObjects Edge BI with Data Integrator (SBOP Edge BI with DI) and SAP BusinessObjects Edge BI with Data Management (SBOP Edge BI with DM) are products comprised of installers from two products: SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform Suite (BI) and SAP Data Services (DS). As such, the product information published for the SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform 4.1 suite and SAP Data Services 4.2 and their corresponding support packages are applicable to the combined solution. Edge BI with DI/DM versions are shown in the table below, see the orange column. The underlying BI version and Data Services versions are reflected within the same row in blue.
For more information on the compatibility of Data Services with BI platform or IPS versions, and compatible patch information, please see SAP Note 1740516
1789731 – What version is compatible with Data Services 4.X? – Data Quality Management for SAP
Supported Platform Link:
Up gradation & Configuration Documents of Data Services 4.2 SP7:
When the prerequisite system check completes successfully, click Next
On the “SAP BusinessObjects Data Services 4.2 SP07 setup” page, click Next.
Accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
Click Next to accept the default path to the folder where the program will be installed.
Select DS_COMMON_DIR directory as per your environment and click on Next
Click Next to accept the default language (English).
Type a password for the CMS Administrator account, and click Next.
Click Yes to restart the BOIPS services
To start the installation, click Next.
Installation is in progress
SAP Business Objects Data Services 4.2 SP7 Configuration Documents:
Before upgrade of local repository below are the error in SAP Business Objects Data Services Designer
So before login upgrade the repository using SAP Business Objects Repository manager below are the steps for upgrade of local repository details:
Below are the steps for upgrade of local repository & upgrade of secure central repository
Upgrade of Local Repository using SAP Data Services Repository manager:
Open SAP Data Services repository manager and check the version before migrating, You can also check in repository metadata through SQL,And after validating click on upgrade tab
Upgrade of Secure Central Repository:
Do the same validation for Secure central repository
And after validating click on upgrade tab
Then Login to Central Management Console -> Go to Data Services
Then Click on Data Services and check the repository version details.
Now try to login in SAP Business Objects Data Services Designer with SAP Business Objects Credential
Click on Logon and Click on “ok”
Now login in SAP Business Objects Data Services management console
Click on “Administrator” tab
New features are added in “SAP Business Objects Data Services management console 4.2 SP7″:
- The installer migrates the objects in the DSConfig.txt file to the new Data Services 4.2 SP7 locations. For more information about these changes, see User Access Control (UAC) support.
- If, during the installation, you choose to configure a Data Services repository with an Oracle database, the installer will not accept the ojdbc5.jar file as a supported Oracle JDBC driver, and the installation will be blocked. The ojdbc5.jar file is not a supported Oracle JDBC driver in Data Services 4.2 SP7.
- While you are performing an upgrade installation, if the existing Data Services product keys are already expired, the installation will be blocked.
- For Windows, the upgrade installer contains an option to change the default location of the Data Services common directory (DS_COMMON_DIR). The new directory must be local and be accessible to all applicable users. Additionally the new directory must have sufficient disk space for the configuration and log files that reside in the common directory. For more information, see the Installation Guide for Windows (Installation, Interactive installation using default configuration, Change DS_COMMON_DIR location
After Installation & Up-gradation SAP Business Objects Data Services 4.2SP07 below are the status that i upgraded in VM Ware
These enhancements were successfully implemented in the following systems:
- SAP Business Objects Information Platform Services 4.1 SP04/SAP Business Objects Enterprise Information Management 4.1 SP04
- SAP Business Objects Data Services 4.1 SP07
This document is relevant for:
- SAP Business Objects Data Services Administrator
This blog does not cover:
- SAP Business Objects Data Quality Management Up-Gradation
Installation Guide Windows:
Installation Guide UNIX:
SAP Data Services 4.2:
SAP Data Services 4.2 Upgrade Guide:
SAP Data Services 4.2 Product Availability Matrix:
SAP Data Services Document Version: 4.2 Support Package 7:
How to get a new License Key
BI4.2 New License Key Requirement when updating from BI4.0/BI4.1
How to apply Permanant License Key in BODS
BODS License Key activation steps
SAP Data Services Blueprints (Sample ATL Files of BODS 4.x)
Data Services Product Tutorials:
1388363 – Where can I download Data Services software, support packages, and patches?
1263925 – Are Data Quality blueprints available? – Data Services
1530081 – Troubleshooting tips for SAP Data Services 4.x
1723342 – Data Services 4.1 Upgrade Scenarios
1725915 – Release Notes for SAP Data Services 4.1 (14.1.0) Ramp-Up
1740516 – SAP Data Services 4.x and SAP Information Steward 4.x compatibility with SAP Business Intelligence platform and Information Version
1900051 – SAP Data Services 4.x and SAP Information Steward 4.x compatibility with SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform and Information platform services for inactive releases.
1694041 – BI 4.0 Consulting:- How to size the Adaptive Processing Server
1881527 – BODS adapter issues
1769406 – Best Practices on taking a Hot Backup for a SAP BI 4.0 deployment
746938 – How to backup or restore a Data Services 4.0 cleansing package.
DS4.1 – Address Cleansing using Global Address Cleanse transform
1645932 – How to setup SSL certificates in a Distributed Environment – Data Services XI 4.0
1416303 – Can’t reach Job Server from DS Designer
2067076 – RAM or RAO crashed with ” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError … ” – SRS
Very completed info. thanks for the guide, i'll plan this upgrade in some months i guess.
It's really very useful document...
Thank you for efforts and time.
Thanks for the detailed post, but i don’t see below files in our Data Services Environment. Could you please help me with the path.
FYI, we have 2 servers (1 for web and another one for rest of the services (Mgmt, Intelligence & Processing). We have Data Services 4.2 SP5 running on BIP 4.1 SP5 Patch 7.
Do we need to upgrade the repository if we are patching DS within same SP Level for e.g. 4.2 SP08 Patch 1 to 4.2 SP08 Patch 3?
Yes, If you are deploying any Patch/Service Patch you have to upgrade your repository (Local,Secure Central & profiler) also you have to keep client tool on ame patch level, as per SAP standard.
Yes, You have to upgrade all repository (Local, Secure Central & profiler) and also you have to keep client tool on same patch level.
Hi Do you have similar doumentation to upgarde from BODS 4.2 SP1 to BODS 4.2 SP9? Thanks in advance!
Installation steps & Backup steps almost same, only difference is in Product features in terms of ETL.
Please refer below BLOG regarding BODS 4.2SP9 installation
Very nice blog! Well explained.