HANA Smart Data Access Overview
SAP has introduced Smart Data Access in SAP HANA which is a Virtualization Technique. This feature is introduced from SPS6 in SAP HANA. Smart Data Access enables SAP HANA to combine data from heterogeneous sources like Teradata, Sybase IQ, SAP Sybase Adaptive Service Enterprise and Hadoop.
- Smart Data Access is a technology which enables remote data access as if they are local tables in HANA without copying data into SAP HANA.
- Data required from other sources will remain in virtual tables in HANA. Virtual tables will point to remote tables in different data sources.
- It will enable real time access to data regardless of its location and at same time, it will not effect SAP HANA database.
- Customers can then write SQL queries in SAP HANA, which could operate on virtual tables.
- The HANA query processor optimizes these queries, and executes the relevant part of the query in the target database, returns the results of the query to HANA, and completes the operation.
In BW, SAP HANA Smart Data Access is used as the source for Open ODS views and for query access to data in Sybase IQ as a near-line storage solution.
SAP HANA Smart Data Access (SDA) for Near-Line Storage in SAP IQ
- If you are running an SAP HANA database, you can use SAP HANA Smart Data Access (SDA) to access your data in SAP IQ near-line storage.
- SDA is the new method – customers should switch over to it if they are not using it.
- The old way was via ABAP – it basically queried HANA and IQ then aggregated the results.
- The new way – all queries go to HANA and HANA sends off the IQ part via SDA. This means basically, HANA accesses the IQ via SDA and IQ returns partial results(as per the BExBExoutput
- However, the archiving bit still happens at the ABAP layer.
- It is just a technical setting need to do SDA for NLS. It makes the read from NLS performance marginally faster. It makes things a little bit faster, but cannot expect a lot as its still querying disk based database.
- It is transparent to everything like BEX, as long as you tick the button which says to use archived data. The same as what you have to do for NLS-IQ-ABAP.
Prerequisites to implement SDA for NLS
- You have installed SAP HANA Support Package Stack 06.
- The technical content must be installed in the BW system.
- You need the following authorization in SAP HANA:
System privilege: CREATE REMOTE SOURCE
- If the remote source is not created with the SAP<SID> user but with a different database user instead, then this database user must assign the corresponding object authorizations to the SAP<SID> user:
Object privilege: CREATE VIRTUAL TABLE on VIRTUAL_TABLES (SYS)
Procedure to implement SDA for NLS
- Create a remote source in SAP HANA Studio.
- Assign the remote source to the near-line storage connection
- Reactivate the data archiving process if you have existing DAPs in the system.
Enjoy Improvements in your queries retrieving data from NLS-IQ using HANA Smart Data Integration !