Quick take on Dump with exception LCX_VALIDATION_ERROR in PPM
Here I am with my first blog, probably first on any platform 🙂
This is about an issue which I faced on my current project recently. Many of the users and team members started getting below error during opening a PPM(Project Management or Portfolio Management) item
ST22 details are as below:
Initially, we thought that it is due to some role issue as not everyone was getting this error. Second, since this message was about ‘Company Code’, and corresponding WebDynpro component had custom field for Company Code, we thought that some issue in custom enhancement of this screen and started looking for it.
After few hours of struggle, I came across SAP Note https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2166738 which explains the reason and solution for this problem.
Help documentation of some data elements contains hotlinks which cannot be properly rendered by WebDynpro. As WDA try to display help text same as help in the WebDynpro frontend, processing gives error. (e.g. data element BUKRS)
Above help text was converted as below string and that is where code was giving mentioned error, as text “GL: company_code” is not a tag.
The <GL:company_code>company code</> is an organizational unit within financial accounting.
As per SAP Note, for an individual user, this can be solved by disabling ‘Quick Help’ on user screen.
I tried this for hours by disabling the ‘Quick Help’ on ‘Summary’ screen of PPM items, but nothing changed. 😕 That is when I thought to take a tea-break
It(tea-break) really worked 😉 I got this thought that probably disabling Quick Help need to be done at next screen where I am getting this error. Question was – How?
So I used this dirty trick(I would say it ‘dirty trick’ as there is a standard & better way of doing it, which I came across later):
1. On the screen where we are getting error in front-end, right-click and ‘Properties’, which will give URL of the screen
2. Copy this link and paste in your browser.
3. Search for term APPL_MODE and change the value to ‘3‘ and then press Enter.(It will ask user credentials)
4. Now, you can see the PPM Item screen without any data. Right click and click on ‘Hide Quick Help’.
5. Try now from regular process and you will be able to see details for current application.
Problem with above approach is that
1. we cannot fix it for someone else as it needs their credentials.
2. It requires few technical steps which every user may not be able to perform
So, here is the Standard/Admin approach to fix this:
Using WDA ‘WD_ANALYZE_CONFIG_USER‘ , we can delete this combination of user and personalization, which will default the Quick Help setting to ‘Hidden’.
Below are the steps:
1. Get Component configuration for component as below
2. Run WDA WD_ANALYZE_CONFIG_USER, provide all inputs and click on ‘Display’
3. Below details will be displayed. Select relevant entry and click on ‘Delete’
4. Next -> Party time 😀
Above two solutions are for individual users and not at a system level. As per SAP Note 2166738, in order to fix it for all users, we need to change the help-text of fields creating problem. Detailed steps for this can be found in SAP Note(2166738) itself.
I’ve tried to put maximum details of issue and solution. If you feel that something can be added/enhanced, please do let me know.
Thanks for reading!!
Very helpfull document.
Thanks for Sharing.
Solution 2 by Shyam works.
Good to know that it helped 🙂