Focused Insights: How to build Custom Code Management Dashboards
CCLM (Custom Code Lifecycle Management) is the central point of access to manage custom developments lifecycle. With Focused Insights you can easily access CCLM metrics repository and build nice dashboards to report on your custom solutions whether there are in development phase or already in production.
Focused Insights uses CCLM Ad-Hoc Reporting as data source. While CCLM Ad-Hoc Reporting provides full access to all custom code metrics, it only returns snapshot values but no historical values. Thus, Focused Insights brings its own infrastructure to supports historical values. In order to be collected by this infrastructure and used in a dashboard, a metric is first configured with a dedicated application (CCM Metric Instance Builder).
After the metric is configured in the CCM Metric Instance Builder, a new value is computed every day and stored in a dedicated repository. From there, it can be consumed to build reporting dashboards.
In the following example we’ll demonstrate how to build a CCM metric and display it in an OCC Dashboard.
- Access Ad-Hoc Reporting from CCLM Work Center of Solution Manager
- Create and test your CCLM query in Ad-Hoc Reporting.
- In this example we want to monitor the number of custom reports for Sales process which are deployed on the production ERP. At this stage we don’t need to care about the frequency of the report (daily/weekly/monthly…) since we are only building a snapshot (current value).
- To list the current custom Sales reports in the ERP production system, select the scenario “Object inventory” in Ad-Hoc Reporting and enter the proper filter values (Object Type, Development Class…).
- Select the ERP production system.
- Ad-Hoc Reporting returns a list of custom reports which match the filters. This is the size of this list we want to monitor in the OCC dashboard (number of custom reports).
- When the Ad-Hoc Reporting query is tested successfully, start application “CCM Metric Instance Builder” of Focused Insights.
- Create a new metric “Number of custom SALES reports (prod)”.
- Several metric types are available to cover all CCLM dimensions (quantity, quality, usage…). In this case, select the metric type “Custom code object quantity”.
- Indicate the number of months to keep in the history, in this example we keep 12 months of data. As the metric data points are generated every day, it’ll take 12 months to fill the history and start the housekeeping process.
- Configure metric’s attributes (CCLM Library, Systems, DevClass…) you tried out in CCLM Ad-Hoc Reporting.
- Since we are only interested in recent reports, we select 24 months for the age of the report (CCML attribute “Created_On).
- All CCLM Ad-Hoc Reporting attributes are available for selection. Attributes’ names and values can be picked up from helpers.
- A daily job calculates the value of metrics configured in CCM Metric Instance Builder and stores them in a dedicated repository (CCM History). Read only field “Current History Size (day)” indicates the number of days already collected by the daily job. Value of this field is equals to 0 when the metric is created and incremented by one every day after the job as ran successfully.
- Check the current value for the metric with button Test. This value should correspond to the size of the objects list returned by CCLM Ad-Hoc Reporting.
- The CCM metric is ready to be used.
- Access OCC Dashboard and created a new gadget “Custom Sales Reports”.
- Select data provider /STDF/DP_CCM
- Select the metric “Nb custom SALES reports (prod)” we created in ”CCM Metric Instance Builder”. You can use the filter to quickly retrieve it in the list.
- Enter “True” for option “Live Collect”. It means that the gadget will display the current metric’s value (snapshot) in addition to the historical values. Since the current value is calculated in live from CCLM Ad-Hoc Reporting and not retrieved from the history, the chart might take more time to show up.
- Select the tab “More Settings”.
- Click on Time Range.
- Chose the reporting time range: Last 6 Months.
- Chose resolution: Month.
- Apply all your changes and save the gadget.
- The gadget shows only one month since there is not enough data yet in the history.
- Following the same approach, it is simple to configure additional custom code metrics and show them in OCC gadgets at various time frames (smaller significant period for the chart is Day as it is the data collection period).
Focused Insights (http://support.sap.com/focused-insights)
Focused solutions for SAP Solution Manager, is the extension concept for SAP Solution Manager, with the idea of helping our customers meet their particular innovation needs on an individual basis, without the need for homegrown software or partner solutions.
The goal of Focused Insights is to build and distribute powerful customer-specific dashboards in minutes using state-of-the-art user experience.
The content delivered with Focused Insights has been designed to deliver, in real time, the most relevant and valuable information to the right people. While it provides full transparency of information stored inside SAP Solution Manager, it also takes into account the best practices and experience gained during numerous custom projects, offering a set of prepackaged dashboards tailored to your needs.
SAP Focused Insights offers specialized dashboards for experts as well as management or non-technical users. Whether they address the CIO or an expert, dashboards remain consistent among each other since they rely on the same data sources mixed up and presented in different granularities or aggregation levels.
Focused Insights comes with a rich content. It fully exploits the huge amount of data stored inside SAP Solution Manager. Metrics produced by the activation of a scenario, whether it is IT or business related, become immediately available to the prepackaged dashboards. Raw metrics can be grouped or combined to produce advanced metrics and high level KPIs.